Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: AnyOne know anything about Switzers

Thanks Chris
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no but if you will look at the last page or 2 of the thread would you put arnsons on a new boat you will find it . robbie
Old 11-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

The 24SS is not really related to the early Switzer Wings and Shooting Stars. Bob and Dave Switzer sold the company in the late 70's. Only connection is the decal on the hullside. I believe the 24SS was built by Dan Coons,who had purchased the company earlier. I have 2 Stars,built by the Switzer brothers,and sold a couple of 17's and 21's designed by the Switzer brothers and built by Coons,but I don't think Bob and Dave had anything to do with the 24SS. Maybe T2x can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:42 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of our members, Jpclear, was also a Switzer dealer for many years. I will give him a heads up of this thread and see if he will enlighten us with some more historical facts. He has shared with me, some great stories of the "old Switzer days" including racing a Switzer Wing at Grand Island, NY.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:37 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is jpclear writing here: I was a Switzer dealer from 1967 till I sold my business in 1985 and was even their outboard dealer of the year once. My successor continued to sell the Cooms "Switzers" into the early ninety's. ( I believe it was Cooms, Not Coons, but I could be wrong.) Dan Cooms's father actually owned the company when the "Offshore" series was developed and marketed and although he gave Dan control of the boat end of the business, (they produced a variety of fiberglass products) I got the impression that he also kept pretty tight control of the purse strings which resulted in a decline in quality and development. The 24 and 25 footers were a shallower "V" (21* I believe) and an excellent performer with a big block as a lake boat but tended to be an uncomfortable handful in true offshore conditions. If properly cared for, they held up well. If not, they developed floor and stringer problems. If you find a good one and don't care about running on the roughest days, you should absolutely love it. Very few hulls of that time can give you as much performance/horsepower.
If you want to talk more you can call Jerry at (585) 229-5498. --- jpclear

Last edited by RLW; 11-23-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have a 1990 25' Switzer. 454 Bravo Drive. I think it is a nice boat. It is well built. For a 1990 he was ahead of his time.