Rackominium - Wish me luck!

Notices

Rackominium - Wish me luck!

Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rackominium - Wish me luck!

Well having gone from selling the boat to now buying a rackominium has been quite the adventure. I ultimately decided that my access to boating should not be in the hands of ineffective government nor greedy developers.

I hope this will prove to be a wise choice and sound investement. I have heard so many opions - alot of them partisan. Ulitimately have seen per foot rents go from 7.50 to now 12.00 this summer the 3 years I have been in Tampa. Up north I lived on the water and this was not an issue (other than obnoxious Jersey property taxes).

I figure that in about 5 years I will be happy with the choice but it's quite a lot to swallow and investment I feel driven to do vs. choosing to do.

Anyone out there in the position as me?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where you buying at? I have a reservation on a rackaminium space at Tampa Harbor (formerly Bayside Marina). My decision to buy was made in much the same manner - didn't like trailering the boat and got sick of seeing to costs of high & dry storage go up and up...

Where do you do your boating? Are you doing the OPBA Run to the Pub this coming weekend?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I am buying at the Turtle Cove Marina right off the Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs. They are on a bayou right off the Anclote. Really great place, the owner is on-site ex-coastie and apba cat racer. He really is putting his heart into the place. It is pretty cool to have the boat fueled and with beer on ice in water when you arrive. They also wash, flush, and cover too. The travel to the Gulf is around 15 minutes. Ancloie key and 3 rooker along with Caledesi are right there. I was at Home Port for a while and although the staff was great - the management is a recluse and it showed in how we were treated. Anyway - checkout the link... if you wanna buy use me as a referral and we'll split the $500.

do a search on turtle cove marina - all the info is there.

I joined the OPBA but cannot make the run - but was thinking about showing up later by land.

Last edited by Shooter; 03-22-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

Bought one in Ft. Lauderdale. I think it is a great inveastment, they are tearing down all the marinas that are even close to the inlet for condos, slowly running out of boat space unless you want to travel 30-40 minutes to get to the intracoastal and then another 15 to the ocean !
Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

you are making the best investment in south florida. if anyone is looking for a 40ft slip in aventura with no bridges to the inlet email [email protected]
Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turtle Cove is a nice place. I did the setup on their lift about 2 years ago or so. Real nice people to deal with.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter
I am buying at the Turtle Cove Marina right off the Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs. They are on a bayou right off the Anclote. Really great place, the owner is on-site ex-coastie and apba cat racer. He really is putting his heart into the place. It is pretty cool to have the boat fueled and with beer on ice in water when you arrive. They also wash, flush, and cover too. The travel to the Gulf is around 15 minutes. Ancloie key and 3 rooker along with Caledesi are right there. I was at Home Port for a while and although the staff was great - the management is a recluse and it showed in how we were treated. Anyway - checkout the link... if you wanna buy use me as a referral and we'll split the $500.

do a search on turtle cove marina - all the info is there.

I joined the OPBA but cannot make the run - but was thinking about showing up later by land.

The only thing I would be careful about is, "letting them flush my engine(s)".. I've seen too many marines where their approach to flushing an engines is to "put the flush muff on, start engine, THEN turn the water on for about 3-5 minutes" That part I would do myself. And you are right, soon in FL, that are going to be NO public access marinas, and there aren't nearly enough public boat ramps, and the $TM club is trying to block every new ramp from being permitted/built!
Dean