Notices

GPS in dash, any ideas?

Old 02-06-2002, 09:24 AM
Uncle Toys

Post GPS in dash, any ideas?

Speedo doesn't work with the new shorter lowers and I don't want to stick a Pitot in the water, so it looks like I will be swapping out the analog speedo for a digital GPS. Cat&Mice already suggested the Garman 168 with a large display (good for us old guys). I sure would appreciate your suggestions. We don't need mapping, just speed read out and some kind of function to read out the max speed etc. Thanks.

p.s. If we have already done this thread previosly, please forgive, and direct me.

Old 02-06-2002, 09:27 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts
Thumbs up

Have you looked at the Gaffrig GPS speedo kits? Replaces your dash speedo with a GPS unit and even has high speed recall!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any reason that you have not mentioned the GPS speedow from Gaffrig, Norskog, and others? They will go were your old guage was and you can get them to hook up to your hand held or perm. GPS for the antenna or go with the complete kit.

Jon
Old 02-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having a GPS speedo installed next week!

No more bent pitot tubes or tubing coming off!!!

Old 02-06-2002, 10:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
I have a good friend that has the Gaff. GPS speedo and he says that is cool and everything, BUT he also has a Garmin GPS MAP 76, (I have same unit), and he takes that along for NAV. and back-up to the Gaff. He said that the Garmin's update rate is much FASTER than the Gaff. unit, to the point that he doesn't really use the Gaff. unit anymore! Don't mean to confuse this subject, just my friends experience, and it help presuade me to by the Garmin unit, and dash mount it.
MD
Old 02-06-2002, 10:48 AM
Uncle Toys

Thanks guys!

29scarab - Which unit are you installing and why?

Wally & Audiofn - Do you guys have these or have experience with them?

Dean Ferry - Is the Garmin a unit that fits into the speedo hole on the dash? Good idea about the "update rate." Never thought about that. I have a hand held unit if I ever need the mapping function. But at Havasu, that's probably not going to be an issue other than offroading in the winter.

Eliminator has recommended Garmin and Norskog, but I'm guessing its because, that's what their parts guy has.

Input is very much appreciated as I will be pulling the trigger around 2pm (left coast time).

Old 02-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Uncle Toys,

I left that up to my marine mechanic. He'll install the best on the market. I'll talk to him this weekend to find out for sure and get back with you on other info!

Old 02-06-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

Unc.
I removed our liquid filled Livorsi speedo and installed their analog round faced GPS unit. It was a snap to install, very accurate, and the recall and average feature is great. It fit right into the dash cutout for the liquid filled. It looks just like a liquid filled guage, and is self contained, and comes with everything needed.
Philip

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Philip ]
Old 02-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Registered

UT,
One way to go and i am not necessarily saying it is the best, is to use a Norskog dash GPS speedo and a Garmin 176 to drive it. The NEMA sentencing for the Norskog is an older version however a patch can be downloaded from the Garmin web site and the older Nema structure selected. (I think it is Nema 1, can't remember but Nordskog knows). The 176 is the only Garmin plotter that had the flexibility to revert to older Nema formats that we could find.
Norskog has its own receiver but with the 176 you get the flexibility of having a plotter. Hope this helps.

Ted
Old 02-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
UT,
No, the Garmin GPS Map 76 is a hand held that i ordered the marine dash mount for and I just slip the 76 into the mount and plug in the 12VDC power cord. I really like the unit, but I'm afraid my comparing my "Apple" to the "Orange" that you are wanting.
MD

Quick Reply: GPS in dash, any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.