Progression power boats Any Good??

Notices

Progression power boats Any Good??

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby222
i now own the 29 foot progression with the twin 250s and we go out on it all the time verry fun and an awsom boat all around cant wait till we get the new props.
Welcome to the happy group of Progression owners! I wouldn't trade mine for the world.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes progression does make a very good boat.

They are vacuum bagged and put together very well. The rigging has always looked good to me and I like the ergonomics of the one I sat in.

I got a good look at one in Havasu earlier this summer and from a build point of view I liked what I saw and as the owner of 2 LaveyCrafts I would say Im pretty damm picky.

Their boats are AME 4000 and baltek set up- when vac bagged this is nearly indestructible, super-light and suffers none of the curses of a marine plywood deal.

Now styling is another thing- and this is all opinion.

I dont particularly like their styling to me its boxy and the swimstep on the i/o I saw was the funkiest thing Ive seen yet.
Progression claims they dont us the step to "drive up boat prices per foot", but nothing is stopping them from building a useable good looking step, and removing the step length from the boats claimed length and pricing accordingly.

The gelcoat was clean, but extremely basic - some guys claim they like "old school" thats ok- I like old school but with a bit more flair than what Ive seen on progressions.

Sometimes "Old School" is a choice the client makes - sometimes "Old School" simply means the builder simply doesn't posses the skill to do a better than basic job. Im not sure which is which in progressions case.

If you can live with the styling/detailing the boats themselves seem great.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-03-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Yes progression does make a very good boat.

They are vacuum bagged and put together very well. The rigging has always looked good to me and I like the ergonomics of the one I sat in.

I got a good look at one in Havasu earlier this summer and from a build point of view I liked what I saw and as the owner of 2 LaveyCrafts I would say Im pretty damm picky.

Their boats are AME 4000 and baltek set up- when vac bagged this is nearly indestructible, super-light and suffers none of the curses of a marine plywood deal.

Now styling is another thing- and this is all opinion.

I dont particularly like their styling to me its boxy and the swimstep on the i/o I saw was the funkiest thing Ive seen yet.
Progression claims they dont us the step to "drive up boat prices per foot", but nothing is stopping them from building a useable good looking step, and removing the step length from the boats claimed length and pricing accordingly.

The gelcoat was clean, but extremely basic - some guys claim they like "old school" thats ok- I like old school but with a bit more flair than what Ive seen on progressions.

Sometimes "Old School" is a choice the client makes - sometimes "Old School" simply means the builder simply doesn't posses the skill to do a better than basic job. Im not sure which is which in progressions case.

If you can live with the styling/detailing the boats themselves seem great.

Uncle Dave

Yea, I have to agree with you there on the styling. I've often said that Kevin is kind of stuck in the 1980's. But, when I look at how well my boat has held up (it's a 1992) through some seriously rough water at high speeds, I can put up with dated styling in exchange for one hell of a boat. The gelcoat graphics may be "old school," but people still ask me if I just picked it up! It's held up that well. Too bad the absolute worst angle to view mine is from the rear - because that's the only view most folks get!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good boats..sit low in the water at rest i have noticed though..

Last edited by quicklt1; 09-23-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

This one peaked my interest seems like a bargain..
http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/1969493749.html
Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by quicklt1
This one peaked my interest seems like a bargain..
http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/1969493749.html
Wouldn't touch it. Major problems from what I hear.......
Old 09-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Registered

Really..was going to go check it out this weekend,,its sitting on merrick rd. in merrick, what should i look for??
Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by quicklt1
Really..was going to go check it out this weekend,,its sitting on merrick rd. in merrick, what should i look for??
its pretty easy to see......there is a 10 to 12 foot long crack in the pad on the port side with brown juice leaking out of it....i hit it with my moisture meter and it pegged the thing about a foot in every direction from the crack.....

floor is shot where you enter the cabin and was shored up using scrap 2x4s and drywall screws....dash is cracked at the cabin entry door pretty badly.....

Stainless marine bracket was modified to allow the 300s to fit which are wider than the original motors and it was done half assed and now the bracket has a few cracks because of it...

i stopped by Progression and spoke to kevin about the boat and he says the boat was junk 10 years ago something to the effect of it filling with water on land and sitting fill of water for sevral months as well as the boat has just been beaten to death....

if i were you i wouldnt even waste my time looking at it....i spent an hour or so there trying to convince myself that it wasnt all that bad and everywhere i looked i kept finding another reason to stay away....
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Registered

Thanks...i knew something had to be wrong for that price, i saw it on craigslist for a while now..
Old 05-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Titan
Here is a picture of my Buddies 29 with outboards
My dad now owns this boat it is an excellent boat. its 9 years old but looks brand new and runs great.

Quick Reply: Progression power boats Any Good??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.