Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New F2 team looking for some advice... >

New F2 team looking for some advice...

Notices

New F2 team looking for some advice...

Old 02-05-2002, 09:19 PM
scottr

Post New F2 team looking for some advice...

Some friends are in the advanced planning stages for an F2 team to run in the 2002 Great Lakes Silver Cup Series. We are looking to get a better handle on the costs and resource requirements to run this series safely and in a quality fashion. Any advice and recommendations would be very appreciated.

We will be starting out with a 2001 boat and are curious to understand if spare drives and engines are the norm and what hardware or driveline equipment typically fails during the race season. (Obviously, water conditions and driver/throttleman skills impact these variables). How much deep technical support is required on race weekends. Since these are stock and certified HP 500 engines/outdrives, does Merc ever warranty any of these items, or is that just racing and part of the territory.

We are also trying to sort through the various skill sets and roles/responsibilities needed in putting together a well rounded team, over and above the driver, throttleman and transport.

Lastly, what do some folks do on equipment insurance during the actual race event. Self insured, or expensive policies similar to what we see in road/oval racing for specfic events and testing programs.

I am sure this will be an interesting topic for racers and bench racers alike to gain a better understanding and appreciation of the true investment beyond the boat, fuel, travel and hospitality expense. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2002, 09:35 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll find it a good idea to start out with an extra drive. You'll accumlate other spare parts as you go along. The Merc truck is at the APBA national races so don't worry about parts. You may want to carry three sets of props for different water conditions.

What kind of boat are we talking about?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Scott great to see another team in factory racing.We are going into our 5h season in Factory-1.Insurance for us is self insured if you cant afford to lose it your in to deep to be racing.If your starting out with new motors or fresh ones you will get a whole season on them no problem.Drives are another story.Buy the best!They are the week link in the system.You should have a spare or 2 if its in your budget.You dont need a crew chief mechanic at the race unless he is a friend and wants to be there.All your work , rigging and set up should all be done prior to race weekend.There is always plenty of helping hand and advice at the site.The great lake teams are the best group of people I have ever had the pleasure of racing with.For a F-2 team to race locally I would est. $2000-5000 per race depending on your idea of doing it rite.I hope I have helped you and wish you all the luck.Call me if you like 908-272-1100 at work.
Randy
Old 02-05-2002, 09:44 PM
DJD
Registered

We always have two spare drives. Run two or three races (depending on the beating) and swap them over & have the first pair rebuilt/checked out.
Spare engines? No.
Change the couplers once a year(we blew two in one season).
Deep tech support? As long as you are capable of changing all fluids, checking belts, steering systems and EVERY SINGLE NUT AND BOLT before a race, you'll do fine.
It's not so high tech, just time consuming to check everything.
One last thing: CHECK EVERYTHING.
It's the little things that will get you.
For instance, running in second place in Deerfield last yr. a hose clamp got us.
No insurance during a race, no warranties.
Appoint someone who is responsable for each maintanenence item like drives, fueling, installing props at each race and have someone else check them.
Driver does lap tape while throttles checks intercom, vhf etc...
It's just checking things over and having someone else check them again.
Good luck to ya!
Dave, F2-07 Wild Child

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: DJD ]
Old 02-05-2002, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Scott DJD is the man too talk to, you should call him. They kick some serious butt! great run team with a provin track record.One of the nicest guys you will meet.Its worth a trip to AC to meet Dave.
Randy
Old 02-05-2002, 10:49 PM
DJD
Registered

Hey Randy.
Thanks for the kind words You are a class act & look forward to seeing you at the races soon!!!
Unfortunately, I am going to be in FL this weekend but if scottr would like any info, I'd be happy to give any advise I can.
Dave 203 962-5494
Old 02-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Scott, here is another little piece of advice since you are just getting started. Be ready to go in the water when you pull up to the crane!! It is amazing how many teams think that the crane area is the place to start to assemble the boat(and I am not talking about putting props on). Speaking of putting props on-make sure someone knows which prop goes on which side-I could tell tales on some very famous boats that lurched backward as the throttle man pushed the gear levers forward Also don't forget that APBA requires that each boat using the crane have it's own set of lifting straps-make sure they are fitted and ready to use before the race. And don't forget-sponsors love pictures of the boat on the crane with their sticker 20 feet in the air and everybody staring at it Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:29 PM
driveithome

Just outa curiousity, what's the prize money payout for the F classes?
Can't find it on their website.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:41 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,308 Likes on 3,706 Posts
get the rule book out and highlight any questions youre not sure about. first race get there with extra time so as to insure all equipment checks out good. and while a lot of people going is fun think of what you really need, a crew chief is nice so when youre at the drivers meeting and physicals he is getting the boat ready to rock! and everything else everyone said. Good luck

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Pete B ]
Old 02-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Registered

Are the Engines certified by C.R.E. or by Merc.? Doug

Quick Reply: New F2 team looking for some advice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.