Anyone use oil additives ? >

Anyone use oil additives ?

Notices

Anyone use oil additives ?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone use oil additives ?

Been in the car busines for years and have tried almost all of the "MECHANICS IN A BOTTLE" and there are only 2 im a firm believer in. I use LUCAS additives in everything i own with an engine reguardless wether there brand new or used...bikes, cars, boats, lawnmowers etc...including 4 qts added to my f-250 powerstroke every other oil change. I use there injector cleaner, power steering and trans additives.
Have used Engine Restore on a few occasions with positive results in older high mileage cars and have seen it decrease smoking and in some cases increase compression, sometimes a lil and other alot and always a noticable power increase. Has anyone ever used Engine Restore in a marine application? Was contemplating trying a can in a pair of 502's with 280 hrs on them. Either way what are your thoughts ?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone use oil additives ?

my buddies girlfriend had a Dodge Stealth with over 200k on it and around 100k he started using Engine Restore at every 5k oil change and the motor got a lil quiter, smoother with every oil change
Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. I don't recommend it. Especially with diesel engines. Mobil has Delvac 1 which will extend your drains and you will not have any makeup. Also great start up with cold weather, for trucks...

If your engine has been maintained throughout the life of the motor, you should be fine with a Lucas synthetic or another. I recommend gas additives, but none for lubricants.

My family has been in the oil business for over 50 years and we have seen more problems from extra additive packages than good in the long run. For the credentials. Please see website below.

www.genpet.com
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

BG 44K in the tank every month is a sure winner
Old 11-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

the additives I use are already in the oil.
Viscosity improvers, sludge solvents, EP additives, emulsion suspension additives, and water absorbers. They are all in there. That's what makes one brand and type different from another. Otherwise they all come from the same dead reptiles...

Additional additives are a "fixer". If your motors are maintained properly, there is no benefit from additional additives.

Usually, the mechanic in a bottle stuff has crap in it that frees up rings that are stuck w varnish. That speaks for the compression increase. Usually they have crap in them that causes the seals to balloon, which explains the temporary nature of the oil leaks that miraculously stop. Usually thy have long chain viscosity improvers that temporarily act to buffer normal engine noises by charading as a much higher viscosity stock for a few miles.

there is no magic in those bottles. Just chemistry.

If your motor is "right" then they are counterproductive to good practices.

Ever play with the Lucas gear oil additive display? Where it drags a big elastic film of lube across the gears? Ever notice how much HARDER it is to spin that one quickly? Nobody needs liquid rubber in a gearbox unless they are running it FAR beyond its design spec.

IMO at least.

mc
Old 11-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friction-Free - micronized lead and copper
Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

what about that ZDDP stuff?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

I use Crown Royal. Oh Oh, that's 4 me!!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Registered

stop asking dumb questions????
Old 11-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stecz20
stop asking dumb questions????
If my pockets were as deep as yours i wouldnt ask these kind of questions...i just run it til it blew then rebuild or replace...SO PUT A LID ON IT THERE SLICK !!

Quick Reply: Anyone use oil additives ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.