Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Price Haggling when your selling your boat >

Price Haggling when your selling your boat

Notices

Price Haggling when your selling your boat

Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Price Haggling when your selling your boat

The best place to start is with facts. Come up with a true market value of the boat substantiated by fact. Surveys, comps, expert opinions are all a good place to start. Gather lots of hard documentation.

Anytime someone offers me less than what I'm asking, rather than saying yes or no, I ask "why?" If they can't answer that right off the top it at least gives you an opportunity to explain how you came up with your price. It's tough to disagree with someone when they have solid fact and you have nothing. Now you have a place to start. The concept of "having to negotiate" is silly and it stems from neither party being well-armed with facts. If I had a stack of $20 bills and I was selling them for $19 each, I wouldn't have to negotiate. Everyone would possess the basic facts to know I was selling them for under market value and the transaction was in the best interests of the buyer. That's an easy one because everyone knows a $20 bill is worth $20. Now, all you have to do is gather incontrovertible evidence your boat is worth more than you're asking.

The catch here is being honest with yourself. If you BS yourself on the value, you're wasting your time.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Brn29 has it 100% right which is why he sold his boat quickly without much hassle.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not start out high last year when I was looking (summer 05) every one wanted top dollar for used I know I could have gotten them down but I did not have the time.
Right deal came along for new boat so I bought it. Its different now but I would ask maybe a few thousand more than you want
Old 12-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten some good input on this. I think the rock bottom price may be the route to go and it might keep some of the tire kickers from coming around.I'm going to be offering, what I beleive is a STEAL for what the boat has in it. The only thing that isn't stock is the cabin interior.

For those wondering what type of boat it is.

1996 29 Scarab

509cid Whipple motor dynoed with less than 15 hours on it. Have dyno and build sheets. Conservative 3lbs of boost and set up for 7lbs. Horsepower is 625HP.
Bravo 1
Stelling extension box
IMCO dual ram hydraulic steering
Stainless Marine Exhaust
Sea strainer
2000 Dash panels and gaffrig gauges\ custom bezels
GPS speedo with recall
2001 Gaffrig shifter with built in trim
2002 new interior
2-batteries

Alpine with remote
2-amps
2-12" subs
4-infinity

All for under 38,000.00

This will be posted in the classifieds next month.

Last edited by 29scarab; 12-01-2006 at 10:33 AM.