Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Centrifical Supercharger Sound ! >

Centrifical Supercharger Sound !

Notices

Centrifical Supercharger Sound !

Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Centrifical Supercharger Sound !

Ok guys , It is time for my stupid question..
I am putting a Single 511" with an intercooled V-4 Vortech supercharger in my Saber. I know it will make really good power & run like a champ but my question is : How will it sound ideling at the dock ? I don't think I have ever heard a
really healthy centrifical in a boat. I wouldn't guess it would have much cam surge due to the carb enclosure. I know it depends on the cam ect.... ( I will be a bit on the moderate side due to the fact that it is a family cruiser.) But how much will it lope , will the cam still sound choppy ? how much will the supercharger whine ??? ect...ect.... Anybody with any centrifical videos feel free to post them !!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Re: Centrifical Supercharger Sound !

No pun intended but if sounds like a prochrger at the docks it will sound like chit.
We used to have to take the belts off the blowers to be able to hear a noisey lifter,etc...

If anything go whipple.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

A properly built centrifugal motor idles smooth and almost sounds stock because you can run a cam around 230/240 and make really good power. My motor made 950hp on the dyno and idles at 700 rpm's,if it wasn't for the 5" tail pipes and slight ringing from the blower (which the engine cover muffles about 80% at idle) you wouldn't know my boat wasn't just another bone stocker. Do you want to make noise or do you want to go fast ,you could run dry headers if you are really looking for a obnoxious idle,Smitty
Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
Ok guys , It is time for my stupid question..
I am putting a Single 511" with an intercooled V-4 Vortech supercharger in my Saber. I know it will make really good power & run like a champ but my question is : How will it sound ideling at the dock ? I don't think I have ever heard a
really healthy centrifical in a boat. I wouldn't guess it would have much cam surge due to the carb enclosure. I know it depends on the cam ect.... ( I will be a bit on the moderate side due to the fact that it is a family cruiser.) But how much will it lope , will the cam still sound choppy ? how much will the supercharger whine ??? ect...ect.... Anybody with any centrifical videos feel free to post them !!!!
Is EFI an option?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered

EFI is not an option, It has a carb enclosure & that is what I will use.

My exhaust will be mostly dry but not completly. I have stainless marine dry tail pipes for a bravo set up & I am pretty shure I will end up with a tranny so the they will have aprox. 12" added to them that will be mixed a little & if I still want them completly dry (which I probably won't) I can do that too.
I was mainly woundering about the blower whine & cam lope.
(Aticfriends) forgive my oversight but what setup are you running ?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Pro Charger Stage III, M3 in my HP500s, making 800+hp. They squealed like a pig at idle and whined quite loud at rpm. They made fantastic power but just beat the daylights out of the components, even with the large intercooler.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
I had Pro Charger Stage III, M3 in my HP500s, making 800+hp. They squealed like a pig at idle and whined quite loud at rpm. They made fantastic power but just beat the daylights out of the components, even with the large intercooler.
What components did they tear up?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered

Any videos out there ??????????????????
Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Melted valves and burned through head and block.
Another time, melted valves and burned through head, and piston
Another time, melted valves and burned through head
Another time, melted valves, and burned through head and block
Last time, melted spark plug, burned through piston
All this during the 2000 & 2001 summer seasons.

They squeled like a pig at idle.

They whined at rpm.

I will NEVER use them again.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Please don't lump Vortech blowers in with the Procharger kits that were sold to marine applications and failed. We make 800+HP with very little noise and only 7 psi. Gear design, impeller design, intercooler design and fuel delivery system are the reasons why. To make 800+HP with the Procharger design you have to spin the blower a lot faster, which makes even more noise and heat.

Don't make the mistake of using too much cam and get your carb done by someone who knows blowthrough. If you are using a carb enclosure then you will have to use a remote mount intercooler. Not what I would recommend but if you already have the intercooler use the least amount of elbows possible and make your tubing big with large radius turns.

At 800 HP the components you will be beating up will be the drive.
Attached Thumbnails Centrifical Supercharger Sound !-port.jpg  

Quick Reply: Centrifical Supercharger Sound !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.