Price Haggling when your selling your boat

Notices

Price Haggling when your selling your boat

Old 11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Haggling when your selling your boat

I will be in the position to sell my boat in the next couple of months. People always start high and work their way down to what they feel is a negotiable price. I know it all depends on what you think its worth and also what you might owe on it.

My scenario is that I was talking to my wife about just putting the rock bottom price and being done with it, but it has been my experience the buyer still tries to make you come down even more. So, do you still start high and come down or do you just put the rock bottom price and be done with it?

I know its a buyers market right now, just wanted some feed back.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Shawn
Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Price Haggling when your selling your boat

Best to figure your rock bottom price and list it for $5K over that, people usually want to grind and get something, so give them something so they feel warm and fuzzy, unless your boat is worth $50k and you plan to only want to take $20k, then you just say Desperate Sale...$20k takes it, but I doubt thats your rock bottom.

Just my 02

Good Luck
Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say put your bottom line. You put the price too high and you may not get a call from a serious buyer. One more thing to note it is in fact a buyers market so price it right. Not saying your one of those sellers but we have all seen the ones who put FIRM and that price is a joke. Good luck
Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say , fiqure out how much you can afford to lose . cause you always seem to loose with boats , get youre price that youre not going to worry about after the sale anbd sell it why waste youre time , and the buyers either
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
jtmiller02

My advice is always set the lowest price from the start and say it up front, i started to get involved with a brokerage and realized in my area atleast it was totally stupid, i wouldn't pay $20,000 to a broker when i can simply drop the price that amount, advertise on several national sites and have it gone in a matter of days, so why should someone else.

Price is the #1 factor someone is going to look at, my advice is do all the research you can on all the national sites and see what similar boats are listing and selling for. Actual selling prices are the key.

If you have any carrying cost in the boat, Storage/insurance/loan interest/depreciation you should also calculate those costs to find out what it will be costing you on a monthly basis to not sell. This number will be very important in evaluating offers below your desired price, it could be that a "low" offer is no lower than your asking price 2 months down the road.

Last edited by jtmiller02; 11-30-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if you price it for what is ACTUALLY worth, not what you think its worth it will sell...my boat sold in 5 weeks...priced it $7k over my bottom line but still less then the competition and ended up selling it for $2k more then my bottom
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I listed my boat a few months ago, and put it at my rock bottom price with that being mentioned in the ads. I recieved many inquiries about it and 1 purchase agreement if cross country delivery could have been worked out on his end all within the 1st week. Keep in mind, your bottom dollar has to be realistic, otherwise your just spinning your props.

By listing it at my bottom dollar, I'm sure I recieved more interest than I would have if I inflated that number, just so I could come back down. You have to get them to respond to your ad 1st. High prices, and you don't get the call. No one even questioned my price, as I was lower than the others, so it was a legit arguement.

I got the calls,
I see many still listed MONTHS later for sale that have the higher asking prices. Some insanely high.

Nuff said.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
id say , fiqure out how much you can afford to lose . cause you always seem to loose with boats , get youre price that youre not going to worry about after the sale anbd sell it why waste youre time , and the buyers either
You dont always have to lose. You dont make $$ when ya sell it ya make it when ya buy it. I've lucked out and sold 3 boats in 5 years. All combined including repairs and maintence i'm out just under $6k...that to me is a win. and that loss was all with 1 boat...1 sportsmaster lower and stereo system.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Registered

what you have to do is look at the entire market for similar boats 1 year older and 1 year newer than yours get a feel for the market and if ya can price it just under the closest in comparison. thats what i did with all of mine and it worked for me. what kind of boat are you selling anyway ? the 29 scarab for $52k with add-on prochargers ?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
what you have to do is look at the entire market for similar boats 1 year older and 1 year newer than yours get a feel for the market and if ya can price it just under the closest in comparison. thats what i did with all of mine and it worked for me.
I agree with that 100% Bern!!

You have to be willing to walk away from what you feel is a raw deal and say NO to the tire kickers! Everyone is looking for a deal no matter what, so sometimes you just have to say no! If someone is really interested they'll come back to you after they feel out the market some more and realize they had a good deal.

Although it wasn't for sale, I was approached this year by someone who was interested in my boat. I gave him an honest price, maybe a little higher than I would of sold it for, but I wasn't looking to sell to begin with anyway so I stood strong on my number and walked away from the deal.

Some are more deparate than others so every situation is different!

Quick Reply: Price Haggling when your selling your boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.