Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What source do dealers use to determine trade-in values? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/146251-what-source-do-dealers-use-determine-trade-values.html)

DRIVEN1 11-30-2006 08:04 PM

What source do dealers use to determine trade-in values?

I know when buying cars most use the KBB. What do boat dealers use when deciding on a trade in value for a boat? Besides the jar of KY jelly. :eek: Thanks Mike

berns29scarab 11-30-2006 08:09 PM

Re: What source do dealers use to determine trade-in values?

kelly Blue book is not used in the northeast buy auto dealers...we use a book called galves which is updated weekly based on the prices cars are selling for at the auctions in the northeast. KBB is a joke!! I have cars on my lot for $5-$8000.00 less than kelly suggests there worth. I've be told the marina's around here use a compilation of facts but usually start with NADA trade value then subtract 20% from that figure

Jupiter Sunsation 11-30-2006 08:41 PM

On cars the black book is used in FL but on boats it is a free for all! If the boat is not the dealer's usual inventory, is expensive or otherwise a limited niche market expect a beating. For example your 47 Fountain will be a triple negative based on the value (expensive floorplan interest,) the speed (only a few would want it) and being triple powered (makes it more of an oddity) when compared to a 48 SeaRay Express cruiser of the same value that can be sold to anyone.

TeamSaris 11-30-2006 08:46 PM

Nada

yesrej 11-30-2006 09:33 PM

i think they just make up a price depending on what your buying and what your trading in. and how much they want to get rid of the boat.

BillR 12-01-2006 07:29 AM

Around here they use the BUC book.
NADA is usually too high.

berns29scarab 12-01-2006 07:39 AM

lets not forget about low ABOS

Chest Rockwell 12-01-2006 07:55 AM

I know in Florida my dealer uses BUC and ABOS. BUC is updated based on reported sales.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-01-2006 09:03 AM

Mike:
Many dealers in this area have me survey the trade before they give the customer a hard number of what his trade is worth. Of course I evaluate the boat on its own merit, but I use a consensus of info from NADA, BUC, ABOS and the Powerboat Guide. I also compare to others that have sold within the last few months if that's possible. Naturally this is easier on a high-volume production boat than a custom. The dealer uses my survey as a negotiating tool if there are many deficiencies in the trade.

handfulz28 12-01-2006 09:05 AM

When I bought mine, I actually made the broker show me either BUC or ABOS, not sure which it was that they used. I paid right near the low wholesale on the screen.
Thanks,
Michael