Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption? >

Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

Notices

Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

Old 01-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

Hey Jeff32,

This is the formula for getting the right gauge not what you are going to burn per hour..Type of boat and weight and conditions will dictate what you will actually burn..The only way to calculate the amount you burn is to fill the boat up, run about it down to half and check the gauge with what it takes to fill it back up and adjust the floscan to match..You can pm me if you want more info...good luck
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

I did not know that! But before I call you, I need your help guys to post a picture of the instalation. I received my flo scan, and then checked the online installation video they provide on their web site. I realized I was missing 2 pulsation damper, 4 pipe plugs and 2 ssteel heagonal nipple, and the 2 filters. So I contacted Flo-scan, they said the video was made for diesel application not gas, and that is why I was thinking I was missing parts. So apparently my kit is complete but since this I don't thrust either my installation guide... I, just like DUKENROCK, uses the 231 model and I would like someone to post picture of the kit when installed.

Thanks guys for your help.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Registered

I sent both of mine back into FloScan because they quit working last year. They found a bad one and replaced it N/C. I just finished reinstalling them this weekend. I am going to install the SPST switch next to the Cig Plug under the dash. (That way it won't accidentally get reset by somebody) Can't wait to see if they work. It was nice seeing the ultimate cruise speed and compare GPH per engine.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Registered

Jeff,
The install is simple, just take yor time. Install them ahead of the fuel pump, keeping the 231's lower than the pump. I purchased my own fittings and hose, clamps, etc. Rippem used a NAPA filter (I used a different one). The prefilter is a MUST. The sensors are very sensitive to dirt. Install all of your fittings using thread sealer. Do not put the sealer on the first thread. If any sealer get's into the meters they won't work. The 231's should have come with brackets. iiI nstalled the port side bracket on the engine mount next under the fuel pump area. The starboard side bracket I drilled into the fiberglass stringer. I used all SS bolts and thread lock on the bolts holding the sensor to the brackets. Make sure the fuel lines have no sharp bends or kinks either. Hope this helps.

2;2047570]I did not know that! But before I call you, I need your help guys to post a picture of the instalation. I received my flo scan, and then checked the online installation video they provide on their web site. I realized I was missing 2 pulsation damper, 4 pipe plugs and 2 ssteel heagonal nipple, and the 2 filters. So I contacted Flo-scan, they said the video was made for diesel application not gas, and that is why I was thinking I was missing parts. So apparently my kit is complete but since this I don't thrust either my installation guide... I, just like DUKENROCK, uses the 231 model and I would like someone to post picture of the kit when installed.

Thanks guys for your help.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Registered

One more thing, Rippem mentioned that he installed air traps after the meters.It won't hurt but I did ask FloScan about this last week and they said it's not needed.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Registered

Here's some pics I found on the Forum when I installed them in 2005....I made some slight mods but you should get the idea...

(The bilge is cleaner now!)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?-floscan-dash%2520%2528medium%2529.jpg   Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?-module-port%2520%2528medium%2529.jpg   Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?-module-starboard%2520%2528medium%2529%2520%25282%2529.jpg  

Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I thought I could see filters? I'm probably stuck too much with the diesel video I saw... So you just kind of insert the meters somewhere in the fuel line, before the fuel pump, with a filter before the sensor, and give it 12 volts ? If that is what I think it is, it is more than simple!

Thanks for the pictures!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered

On my recent install you could actually see the prefilters, and yes you pretty much have it right. The wiring behind the gauge is pretty self explanatory. heat shrink the connections in the bilge area. I ran a 4C stranded/shielded pvc cable (18AWG) from the dash to the 231's and was able to make all my connections from that.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thanks again! Let you know how it goes!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Registered

Don't forget to Locktite the henweigh. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.