Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show! >

Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Notices

Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Originally Posted by Ron P
Someone needs to post it. It's a sight to behold.
Its on the Fountain site

http://www.fountainpower.com/teamfountain/race_wsr.htm
Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I searched too,,,and it does look like the steps are still in the water. Damn that's fast.

http://www.fountainpower.com/news/vi...04_vid_512.wmv
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Cool Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Originally Posted by Ron P
Someone needs to post it. It's a sight to behold.
The record run is, as some posted here, on the Fountain web site. The record run Pier 57 / V76 boat appears to have very little hull in the water and the effect of the stepped hull is probably minimal. Take a close look at some of the other record runs, and you will see that the steps are in play at speeds that are closer to those of a real world hot rod like those we may actually own. Watch them several times and pay attention to where the water is actually breaking off the hull, the foreward step is not much in play, but the second one is for sure doing something. Watch the CRC cat as well, it's stepped sponsons are also in play.

It's the Rodriguez Group and Instigator boats that more closely relate to our boating, and the steps do reduce drag and surface tension which leads to a more efficient running design. You can accomplish this by sitting the hull on it's tail via a pad bottom, Velocity theory, or by reducing the drag via steps. The advantage to the step method is a flatter running hull which allows for a more neutral drive setting and more foreward thrust of the propeller/s which also aids in efficiency and more speed, and in most designs a better handling, more stable running hull. The main draw back to the true pad bottom, Velocity style - and I did own a 32 that ran just shy of 100mph, is the ride is very hard at lower speeds, and the handling can be a little out there at speed. Controled handling, quality ride, and increased speed with power that will last is what it's all about.

My take on Reggie's never ending quest to better his own record is that it's just the way he is. Maybe somewhat ego driven, maybe his way of promoting his product by showing he is not content to sit still on product development. Something he is doing is working, customers keep going back for more and he sells more boats than most of the others combined each and every year. Records are, by their very nature, ment to be the standard by which others are judged, that which others strive to achieve. Matters little whether it's speed in a boat or distance off the tee on the golf course. With Reggie Fountain maybe it's just because he can do it. And is there one of you here that would turn down an offer to sit next to him when he tries?

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 12-15-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Registered

hammers down
Attached Thumbnails Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!-v76-5.jpg   Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!-v76-7.jpg  
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
My take on Reggie's never ending quest to better his own record is that it's just the way he is. Maybe somewhat ego driven, maybe his way of promoting his product by showing he is not content to sit still on product development. Something he is doing is working, customers keep going back for more and he sells more boats than most of the others combined each and every year. Records are, by their very nature, ment to be the standard by which others are judged, that which others strive to achieve. Matters little whether it's speed in a boat or distance off the tee on the golf course. With Reggie Fountain maybe it's just because he can do it. And is there one of you here that would turn down an offer to sit next to him when he tries?

Very well put....

I will admit I aint got the marbles to ride next to him at those speeds..but if I had to ride with somebody IT would be REGGIE only because he's been there.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 99fever27
Very well put....

I will admit I aint got the marbles to ride next to him at those speeds..but if I had to ride with somebody IT would be REGGIE only because he's been there.
Thank you!

Ah! I do! I'd even buy the fuel.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Well..... even back in the day..... the old Mercruiser 750 HP Open class engines used to run rings around most other "900-1000 HP" offerings from "other" builders. This has happened consistently over the years.

The closest you'll get to reality is the Mercruiser HP and they never claimed anything near 1500 HP, but their old 900 SC's were as fast or faster than anything else on the race course.
Offshore is littered with wild dyno claims that didn't (and don't) hold up in real world use.......... But the 1075's seem to be right up there with anything else available today....unless of course you burn a little "fuel" to up the ante.

I know nothing about your "buddies boat", but if you want to start a thread to delve into "he said-she said" that would be an appropriate forum.
Seems you are doing very good on your own with the "he said" "she said" without any fact. You know what they say about conjecture...

For the record, my buddies boat dynoed 976 and 987 so not quite a 1000 but respectable. The boat was stripped and ran slightly over 100 mph.

Originally Posted by T2x
If your point is that a 9000 lb Fountain with true 3000 HP is faster than a 14000 LB Fountain with "claimed" 3000HP. I agree.
Nice try. You couldn't offer any proof or fact showing your made up claim that 3000 hp 15 years ago was now 2150 hp.

A 2000 hp stripped 42 lightning race boat would run 100 wide open, yet a fully loaded 13,000 plus lb., 47 with 2150 hp runs 117 today...
What's the saying? Facts talk bs walks? Start walking.

Originally Posted by T2x
If you fail to understand that a lighter boat, faster props, lower drag gearcases, and more HP creates speed regardless of changes in hull design ......... Than I've got a bridge to sell ya.

T2x
Maybe you can show me where I EVER said that? You are very good at making up stories.

What I said was hull design has made a difference. I never said hull design was the only reason. (Lighter hulls due to composites etc. is a hull improvement btw). Faster props, improved gear cases, etc. all contribute to faster speeds.

Last edited by Fanatic; 12-16-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stick to my saying "if the man wants to go for it, he will"

Competition is in us all...for some it runs in the blood, for others it doesent. I for one dont have the nads to run what he does. I only hope its done in a safe manner..if there is such a thing.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Team Fountain,

Good luck on your next kilo run. Team AMF is 100% behind you in your quest to push the limits of the sport and equipment. David, Mike, Reggie we understand the dangers and know it's not about HP at this point. It's fun to joke around in the pits but you guys are really true gladiaters. Be safe,double check safety and godspeed. If you need anything other than well wishes from AMF just ask.

Team AMF

UNITED WE RACE.

PS. This goes for attempts from Cigarrette and Outerlimits as well.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Mark, what's the date for the AMF kilo's this year?

Quick Reply: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.