Notices

Got any suggestions?

Old 01-22-2002, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Got any suggestions?

As some of you know, I'm in my late 20's and live in NYC. I had been an investment banker and then worked at an investment fund analyzing and recommending investments in 4 industries (Media, Wireless Telecom, Gaming and Lodging) where the fund collectively invested about $900 million or so of the $3.3 billion we managed.

Last Spring I resigned to take some time off, thinking that I'd take a few months off and then go back to work in finance during the Summer or right after Labor Day, probably at a venture capital firm or at an investment bank. Well, the recession and then the events of 9-11 have really impacted hard financial services hard so the job market sucks. Now I've got a dilemma.

I'm Bored! I used to work around 80 hours a week at the fund, which was down from about 90-105 hours per week as a banker. I'm used to having a great deal to do. I can't seem to fill all the hours of my day and would really like to go back to doing something intellectually challenging, stimulating and interesting. Since, my industry doesn't seem to be offering anything along those lines at the moment, I'm exploring other industries and segments and thinking about going back to school to get a MBA, which I didn't think I'd need (I was promoted to a VP several years ahead of my peers without one and didn't see the need for it).

I would like to hear any thoughts you have on careers I should look into. I am starting to go a bit stir crazy with too much time on my hands. Believe me, you can only spend so many hours in the gym, running, reading at the coffee shop, etc. per day and I've still got hours and hours left unfilled. So, let's hear all of your thoughts.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Miller ]
Old 01-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

From what I have seen and with your background, you should move to the other side of the investment banking business. I mean you should be a consultant to companies looking to raise money and then take a cut of what they raise. There are tons of these guys, but few that can get a deal done.

I have a wonderful plan for a company that has the next generation of LoJack type theft recovery devices and can't get it financed. I probably don't know the right people and I defintly don't speak their lingo, but you do.

Email me if you want to start your new company by looking at this deal.

This device calls you, beeps you and emails you the instant the cars moves over 50 feet from where you parked it. Then go to a web site to see where your car is at that moment. LoJack does $100 million and only helps police find you car after (a) you notice it was stolen and (b) it hasn't been driven out of range from the local police.

This is product is built and Toyota wants to make it thier version of On Star. HELP!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Ron P ]
Old 01-22-2002, 11:47 PM
Registered

Ron,

That sounds like a pretty cool device. What kind of money are you looking to raise.

Miller,

Ron's idea is pretty good. If you are interested in some of what my older brother does, as we talked about, let me know and I can see if they are looking for additional people. I say bag the MBA, but that is me. I never did like skool much.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:09 AM
Registered

RonP, what you're describing is a private equity placement which is something that I have done for companies that completed more than 100 acquisitions with the money we raised. So, send me an email and let me see if I know the right people/funds that might want to look at your idea/technology.

Dan, I'd definetly be interested in what your brother is up to. Basically, I'm very open-minded to see what's out there and I always thinks it's a good idea to talk to whoever might have something to say.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Dan,

We want to raise between 5 million and 25 million. The larger amount would allow the company to go after the aftersell market directly rather than through a partner. The unit should sell retail for about $400 from the dealer and will have a $9 monthly fee.

You can see where your car is at anytime on line.

Miller, check your email.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:33 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i hear man-whoring in fairly lucrative

don't make me he-*****-man-slap you!!!!
Old 01-23-2002, 01:52 AM
Registered

Puder, I may have to drive out to your house and kick you in the ASS!
Old 01-23-2002, 03:43 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

THAT'S A HUGE *****!!!!

Duecei, Duecei, Duecei!!!!!!! You must have one hell of a man-gina!!!!

A what???

You know, a he-*****.........

Gee, thanks TJ.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:12 AM
ScreaminDemon

Soooooooo, for $9 a month i can sit at my computer and watch my car drive away. hmmmmmmmmm? And if i am crazy enough, watch were they go, get into my wifes car and go find them. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Old 01-23-2002, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or you could watch your wife when she goes out to see if she's cheating, and vice versa.

Quick Reply: Got any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.