Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
HELP!!! VIRGINIA Powerboaters are under FIRE!!!!!!!! >

HELP!!! VIRGINIA Powerboaters are under FIRE!!!!!!!!

Notices

HELP!!! VIRGINIA Powerboaters are under FIRE!!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!! VIRGINIA Powerboaters are under FIRE!!!!!!!!

For those of you who don't know what is going on... Smith Mountain Lake Virginia is in the beginning stages of lobbing for stricter laws on the lake. They have discussed Speed limits, noise restrictions, size limits & HP limits. You may think this does not affect you, because you don't boat at SML... WRONG!!! We have been informed that whatever decisions are made at SML WILL affect the entire state of Virginia. So those of you on the James or the Chesapeake WILL feel the affects of this lobbying...So...I would ask that you all start to become involved. The senators said that majority rules and right now the Blue Hairs have us out numbered.

I'd like to hear from our OSO brothers & Sisters who have gone thru this before? What suggestions can you give? We are looking for lobbyists to assist with saving our right to boat. We are contacting the manufactures & our senators. We are aligning ourselves with our local USCG & Game Warden...but right now there are a few "committee members" who are out to get us and they have the upper hand right now. The facts show that power-boaters as a whole have not been the ongoing problem however all the "on golden ponders" what us gone from their lake. We NEED HELP...or I'm afraid we are going to be losing this battle.

Last edited by Blue by You; 09-13-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! VIRGINIA Powerboaters are under FIRE!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Blue by You
For those of you who don't know what is going on... Smith Mountain Lake Virginia is in the beginning stages of lobbing for stricter laws on the lake. They have discussed Speed limits, noise restrictions, size limits & HP limits. You may think this does not affect you, because you don't boat at SML... WRONG!!! We have been informed that whatever decisions are made at SML WILL affect the entire state of Virginia. So those of you on the James or the Potomac WILL feel the affects of this lobbying...So...I would ask that you all start to become involved. The senators said that majority rules and right now the Blue Hairs have us out numbered.

I'd like to hear from our OSO brothers & Sisters who have gone thru this before? What suggestions can you give? We are looking for lobbyists to assist with saving our right to boat. We are contacting the manufactures & our senators. We are aligning ourselves with our local USCG & Game Warden...but right now there are a few "committee members" who are out to get us and they have the upper hand right now. The facts show that power-boaters as a whole have not been the ongoing problem however all the "on golden ponders" what us gone from their lake. We NEED HELP...or I'm afraid we are going to be losing this battle.
Check with the NJPPC (or something like that) C-Spray, DaveP and those guys. I think that they successfully defended an effort to impose speed limits a year or two ago.

....and just for the record, the Potomac River is Maryland water!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Check with the NJPPC (or something like that) C-Spray, DaveP and those guys. I think that they successfully defended an effort to impose speed limits a year or two ago.

....and just for the record, the Potomac River is Maryland water!!!
THANKS!! A LOT! And I really meant to say Chesapeake... I was just reading the Virginia poker run article & they said Potomac. I've changed it above.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DaveP was on the forefront of their defense, so he is a better guy to ask. The key strategy is not to argue for no changes at all, but to bring something pro-active to the table, for example, how SMLPBA will strictly enforce reasonable restrictions on its members, support safe boating initiatives, work with the other boaters to create certain restricted areas in exchange for leaving open areas unrestricted, etc. Keep your people calm, make sure they dress up for the meetings, and stay away from such shenanigans as voting multiple times on polls (your opponents spotted this right here on OSO) and name-calling.

Like it or not, things are going to change there. This double fatality has let the genie out of the bottle, and you're never going to get it back in. I saw the interview that your club did on the local news the other day, and it was right on - very pro-active, well presented, and calmly stated. (Was that you?) That's the right approach - keep it up.

Oh - and if you know any other go-fast guys that drink and drive, act like idiots, or otherwise tarnish the image, confront them. They will ruin it for you all.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
DaveP was on the forefront of their defense, so he is a better guy to ask. The key strategy is not to argue for no changes at all, but to bring something pro-active to the table, for example, how SMLPBA will strictly enforce reasonable restrictions on its members, support safe boating initiatives, work with the other boaters to create certain restricted areas in exchange for leaving open areas unrestricted, etc. Keep your people calm, make sure they dress up for the meetings, and stay away from such shenanigans as voting multiple times on polls (your opponents spotted this right here on OSO) and name-calling.

Like it or not, things are going to change there. This double fatality has let the genie out of the bottle, and you're never going to get it back in. I saw the interview that your club did on the local news the other day, and it was right on - very pro-active, well presented, and calmly stated. (Was that you?) That's the right approach - keep it up.

Oh - and if you know any other go-fast guys that drink and drive, act like idiots, or otherwise tarnish the image, confront them. They will ruin it for you all.
Nothing hitting the nail on the head...with a sledgehammer! Nice post Chuck!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:58 AM

Chuck: I was on the board with Dave, Jerry, Charlie.
Set up a committee with responsible people, reach out to assemblymen who will stand by your side, You are in for a battle because its a Lake with no open access to open water.
Lake Hophacon In NJ three years ago has now posted speed limits for weekends and nights, they also inforce noise restrictions. Size may be a problem because they can't allow a 40ft Cruiser or Sail Boat if they are not going to allow Performance boats of the same size. write Dave he can head you in the direction you need.
Frank
Old 09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by C_Spray

All of your points are right on the money & as a club we have really tried to maintain our composure. It not easy with all the stereotyping & name calling we are getting. I've stated multiple time for us NOT to throw stones, but I'm not too sure how long I can hold these guys off. There are so many mis truths being spread out there we are getting hammered on them (ie: Racing on the lake, 100PMH passes, drinking, reckless operation, lack of care, etc) It's all perception. Fact is we do care and we've come to these meetings with that as our agenda ... only to be received as a guilty party. We're not against change...we just want to be involved in the process and not blamed for it.

Last edited by Blue by You; 09-13-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
Chuck: I was on the board with Dave, Jerry, Charlie.
Set up a committee with responsible people, reach out to assemblymen who will stand by your side, You are in for a battle because its a Lake with no open access to open water.
Lake Hophacon In NJ three years ago has now posted speed limits for weekends and nights, they also inforce noise restrictions. Size may be a problem because they can't allow a 40ft Cruiser or Sail Boat if they are not going to allow Performance boats of the same size. write Dave he can head you in the direction you need.
Frank
One good thing we know is that...SML is considered a navigable waterway. I think this status gives us the right to have any type/size of boat on it. But if they get their 25 night & 45 day speed limit... I would imagine most power-boaters won't bother with the hassle.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:32 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just posted the Lake Conroe Texas night time speed regulation link on the other thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=112271

Hope this helps...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Good luck! You need to find a local elected offical that will listen to your side of the story. The night time speed limit is probobly not a bad idea, but the daytime 45 MPH...... Welcome to my nightmare
Dean

Quick Reply: HELP!!! VIRGINIA Powerboaters are under FIRE!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.