Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Diesels

check with super turmoli on the board he can answer your sea tek questions
Old 12-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Did anything exciting ever come out of the marinized Duramaxs?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jassman
Just trade your boat in on mine, Im planning on doing a 52' Nortech with either twin V-8 900CRM's or most likely the V12 1550 CRM Mann Diesels as my next project.

To anwser your Q's, not exacty sure but motors, drives, trannies and including some profit around 135k. No labor involved and I know other factors will come into play during the rerig process. Merry Christmas. Jeff
I can't see spending that much on my TG. Give me a year then I will be ready to move up. I only bought this boat in June of this year so I better run it for a season. Do you know Brian Connolly ? I met him and his wife Karen in Laconia .
Brian was running a 39 but said he also had a 43 with Yanmars in it . What kind of $ are we looking at ?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Seateks are quite popular in european race boats. They are still in business, Buzzi was once involved in the company.

Quite heavy and at more than 800HP not as reliable as you would expect from a diesel.

Look at the Hustlers, they have a big experience with diesel powered boats and now they are building a diesel race boat.

heiko
Old 12-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by frogger1403
the Seateks are quite popular in european race boats. They are still in business, Buzzi was once involved in the company.

Quite heavy and at more than 800HP not as reliable as you would expect from a diesel.

Look at the Hustlers, they have a big experience with diesel powered boats and now they are building a diesel race boat.

heiko
I have seriously looked at Hustler, and they do make a extremely nice boat, love their 50... but for what I'm looking at Nortech's cockpit and cabin is larger in thier 4300 than the 50 Hustler. It's all a trade off, do I want a boat with 5' extra length so I can shoe horn a third large diesel in to go 8 mph faster or be more balanced, better ride, less maint. and so on. Nortech's been great to me and support is as good as it gets. Their 50 is actually a 52', which is too large for my type of boating. So If I want to go faster I need a more hp/weight ratio twin diesel package which is not in existance as of yet. Some truck based platforms will easily install in a trip application, and waiting for the arrival of those. Jeff

Last edited by Jassman; 12-27-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hustler will display an all new 41 at the show. Two yanmar diesels, huge cabin with big headroom. and the price is better than the nortech's. just me 2cts

heiko
Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by frogger1403
hustler will display an all new 41 at the show. Two yanmar diesels, huge cabin with big headroom. and the price is better than the nortech's. just me 2cts

heiko
At present the headroom in the 50 Hustler is less than my Nortech 4300. As to price, Hustler wasn't even close, the present 50' boat, now used, is for sale in the classified's, 679K beautiful boat, but no where what I paid on my new 07 4300. 600k-1M is rediculous what you have to pay for some of these boats. Thanks for your help. Jeff
Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Why does no one look at the 44mag?
Its beamy enough to take on big diesels to cruise in the 40s-50, and you could squeeze in a turbine for when you want some WOT!
This could probably be done for about 2-3 mil.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, Seatek are still in business but my feeling is that they are not doing extremely well. They were doing much better a few years ago when diesels were allowed and competitive in racing and also when they had a huge market with boats which were intended for... well, let's just say fast transport of stuff. Since those two markets dried out, it's been more difficult for Seatek.

But the engine itself is good and the 850hp. version is reliable enough. It's not as reliable as a big CAT diesel that will turn 2300 rpm but way more reliable than a gas BB with similar power, let's not even talk about torque. The thing is, you need a good mechanic who knows the engine inside out and who has a good ear which means a lot of experience with the engine, including experience running it. And with the distribution network the way it is, I am not sure you would have anyone like that in the U.S.

I know Joe from Hustler has been wanting to do a 49 Widebody with triple Seateks for long time but is unsure of product support. It would be a rocket for such a large boat (50' x 10+' and approx. 25 000 lbs) and I'm guessing roughly 100 mph but the idea behind diesels is to reduce downtime and if you can't get assistance or parts within 24 hours anywhere in the country, you're not really reaching that objective.

What I can tell you is that Hustler's Widebody can accommodate two big diesels such as the ones you are looking at. I know that CAT C18 diesels fit and MAN 1100s probably do as well. Speed would probably be between 70 and 75 mph.

But for the moment, nothing beats a Yanmar and that is partly why a quad Yanmar installation is such a great idea. In terms of cost and maintenance, it is not really more expensive than two big diesels, it is better in terms of consumption and much better in terms of performance. A properly set-up quand Yanmar Widebody with a lighter layup will do 85 mph, something that this hull will never do with big CATs or MANs.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, Seatek have been working on that V12 for at least 5 or 6 years now. Every time I speak to them at autumn boat shows, they say next year but that the prototype is already on the dyno. As I said, it's been on the dyno for 5 or 6 years now.

Fabio Buzzi started Seatek with few other people and designed the first engine, the design which is still essentially the same as the straight-6 block they use today. But lately, it seems that even Fabio has given up on them and has used more Yanmars, Isotta Fraschinis and CATs.

Also, stay away from twin-turbo versions which look tempting and can make 1200+hp. for around 1900lbs. This is a race engine and you all know what that means.

Quick Reply: Diesels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.