Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Here we go. Cape Coral FL (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/148152-here-we-go-cape-coral-fl.html)

salesmanship 12-30-2006 03:11 PM

Here we go. Cape Coral FL

It seems a City Council member wants to improve the quality of life for the residents of the Yacht Club area of Cape Coral.
What's the answer. Let's ban "Cigarette boats" over 35' from using the city boat ramp.
This is a clip from the NEWS PRESS today.

Yacht club rebuilt

Plans for a makeover of the Cape Coral Yacht Club are due in just a few weeks.

Wade Trim, a Tampa planning firm, presented three proposals to city residents in September. The firm also surveyed residents at the hearing and on the Internet.

City Councilman Thomas Hair, whose district includes the yacht club, has several ideas for how it can be improved.

Chief among them is moving the boat ramp off the Caloosahatchee River to nearby Floridian Court, which would provide more beachfront access for parkgoers. And he would like to limit the size of boats using the ramp so 35-foot-long "cigarette boats without mufflers" are not "lighting up in people's backyards."

At the same time, Hair said, the popular park could be kept from becoming too busy for the adjoining neighborhood by charging fees for those who are not Cape Coral residents.

This is the only major boat ramp in Cape Coral that can handle larger boats.

We might need some help.
TS

1bagger 12-30-2006 03:19 PM

Re: Here we go. Cape Coral FL

I will bet Marilyn DeMartini is on it .

Mike 35 Fountain 12-30-2006 03:23 PM

Thanks for the info Terry.............I usually put my boat in there when I go down.

What about that ramp near the base of the Mid Pioint Bridge?
Some of my friends use it and said it's easier than the Yacht
Club.

Spicy 12-30-2006 03:29 PM

Terry,
I leaving my house in an hour to go to a birthday dinner here in Annapolis for a good friend that is up for the Holidays that lives and boats in Cape Coral, he has an Orange Intrepid... His father that is throwing the party tonight is actually building a house right around the corner from the ramp also... I will let both of them know about this..... My opinion is if they let a Jon boat use the ramp then they need to let everyone, yes even those damn Cigarette boats.... :D :D

Patrick

bcschoe 12-30-2006 03:30 PM

Terry,

Dreadknot. Unless Cape Coral is weathly enough to not recieve federal grant money to develop boating access infratstructure. In FY2003 Florida recieved $7,422,277 in grants from the sportfish restoration trust fund, formely known as the Wallup-Breaux Trust Fund which was adminsitered by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Additinaly with the push to increase boating access a lenght limit regardless of engine type would infringe on many Outboard CC types.
Further support may be found here: http://www.sobaus.org/

Keep us informed if things develop as we have other options to educate the uniinitated.

warbird 12-30-2006 03:42 PM

I started a thread early this morning on this topic under Ft. Myers Offshore.

There are some comments there as well...
James

warbird 12-30-2006 03:45 PM

And here it is...

Cape Coral Politics Affecting Boaters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna preface this with the statement that I've had a bunch of loud, really fast, fabulous boats. My four-engine Nor-Techs were ahead of the times 7-8 years ago. I've graduated now to my Quad Midnight, but I still enjoy the rumble of big blocks across the water. Personally, I prefer that mufflers be used in close quarters, but not everyone agrees. This post is for info only, NOT TO ATTACK ANYONE.

Even though my boat lives on my lift, I live only a block from the Cape Coral Yacht Club, and have an interest in my neighborhood.

This from the local newspaper, CC section, this morning:

City Councilman Thomas Hair, whose district includes the yacht club, has several ideas for how it can be improved.

Chief among them is moving the boat ramp off the Caloosahatchee River to nearby Floridian Court, which would provide more beachfront access for parkgoers. And he would like to limit the size of boats using the ramp so 35-foot-long "cigarette boats without mufflers" are not "lighting up in people's backyards."

We already know that with the privatization and condo-ization of previously-public waterfront facilities, you trailer guys around here have a hard time finding places to launch. This isn't good news for y'all!

We've had goodness knows how many threads discussing the noise issues. I've consistently said that unless performance boat owners realize that not everyone loves the rumble, and respect others' sensitivities, laws will be passed to limit their noise. This proposal goes way beyond decible meters. This will limit loud boats from even getting into the water!!

Please weigh in with your thoughts (no swearing, please). We know that Nor-Tech has already made mufflers standard on their boats. They use the CC Yacht Club ramp frequently to launch for testing. Should the government limit their ability to launch a 50' QUIET boat?

TeamSaris 12-30-2006 03:52 PM

Thats Bull!!:mad:
Allthough I know some people who enjoy making noise and pissing people off which leads to this. Im not saying this is right but unfortunately this is all it takes to ruin it for everyone.
If you have silent choice, Use It.

warbird 12-30-2006 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1bagger (Post 1977489)
I will bet Marilyn DeMartini is on it .

Enlighten me, please. I knew Marilyn when I lived in Lauderdale. She wrote an extremely "impressed' article about Warbird IV (the red-and-yellow cat that now belongs to Jules, with turbines). That boat was "Best in Show", Miami 2000. She hung with me and that blond bimbo-de-jour for a while. I thought she was a friend of offshore...?

FeverMike 12-30-2006 04:30 PM

What a bunch of BS..."Cigarette" boat owners pay the same tax for public owkrs as any other boater so I do not see how they can keep that stye of a boat from using a public ramp.