Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sit or Stand? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/14850-sit-stand.html)

Wally 01-23-2002 04:45 PM

Sit or Stand?

Whats your preferance for Bolsters/Seats? For me i like to stand in mine. Use my legs as shock absorbers so to speak. But i have been on a few boats that dont have the drop outs. It was a nice ride but we werent in anything "hairy" to see what they were like. I have had a few VERY rough landings that hurt my insides! And i can imagine what it must feel like when sitting down! How do the pros handle pounding in the rough stuff in those big 46' cats sitting down? Or does the size of the boat kinda kill the big waves?

Scarab3DMC 01-23-2002 04:54 PM

ooooooohhhhhhh your talking about driving!!! I thought it was a gender thing!!!LOL I've got the bad back ..Stand up bolsters!! ;) :rolleyes: :D

Boating Fool 01-23-2002 05:11 PM

Depends on the boat. Like an outlaw 25 I prefer to sit. Driving my cousins 342, I prefer to stand and look over the windsheild because of the distortion.

Waterfoul 01-23-2002 05:12 PM

Standing of course!!! I've sat in the Cat Can Do Skater. The seat was real comfortable, and there was a really good foot support to brace against. You don't really "sit" in it. You are more or less "hugged" into it.

Preferredstock 01-23-2002 05:17 PM

I prefer to stand. It's easier on this OLD body when things get bumpy. My wife would rather sit with feet on foot rests.

hp500efi 01-23-2002 05:17 PM

I prefer to stand as well. Gives me a better overall view of what is around me plus I get a nice breeze off the fairing :)

About the only time I am sitting is if water conditions are smooth and we are just out cruising around.

Cord 01-23-2002 05:17 PM

I like to sit. Only because I found that I tend to lock my knees. Which wouldn't be good during that hard landing when my legs became double jointed.

Ron P 01-23-2002 05:20 PM

Standing is great for pleasure boats but sitting has much better control. I don't know how guys like Fast Eddie sit and take the pounding. In an boat with a canopy the key is to have a 5 point harness that is pulled so tight that there is no way your ass can leave the seat. As long as you move with the boat and have good firm padding, you never get beat up. Kinda like riding a horse.

G-Force 01-23-2002 05:24 PM

My 22' Senza had sit down seats, and my 32' Pachanga has the drop down bolsters. I prefer to stand myself...

32fever 01-23-2002 05:26 PM

When running longer trips, I'll set the boat to run nice and smooth and sit. If we run hard, I like to stand/slant. It's easier to cushion with my legs on hard landings. Although, you'd think as big as my ass is, it would be the other way around ;)

Do guys in race boats wear jock straps? I can see how the need would arise. er uh..you know what I mean....bad choice of words....

Mark