SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Agreed!

That's the law isn't it ?

Up to what age I'm not sure....
Not if the boat is over 26' in length, but it should be.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this thread is starting to loose face of the real reason it was posted. yzbert...if you dont like the Florida powerboat club video dont watch it. this thread is about the death of fellow boaters not to judge or discuss life jacket saftey or talk about videos, or analize the crash or water depth. If these other subjects need discussion lets start new threads.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Agreed!

That's the law isn't it ?

Up to what age I'm not sure....
New York Law
12 yrs old when boat is under way

I make my kids where them all the time. Ages 7 and 12.
My wife won't let me go in the ocean with the kids anyway.
And she keeps a careful eye on the speedo. 50 mph and she is all over my butt about slowing down.
I wear mine on the "Fun Runs" but not on a regular day out.

And Yes Fountainracing42 we are getting off track. Sorry

MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILIES INVOLVED IN THIS INCIDENT.

Last edited by raytart; 01-08-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered

it is common knowledge if you are messing around or running high speeds jackets and tethers should be worn. We all hate to see news like this but these things are going to happen sometimes they just don't have to be soooooo damn often.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJD
Sad indeed
I can say that I saw a fountain stuff and hit the bottom. I think it was around 1996 in Key West. A Fountain called "Heart Beat" (I believe B class) stuffed in roughly 15-18' of water. The impact with the ocean floor left very similar damage.
That was Art Lilly's boat and it had little pieces of coral in the nose after the wreck. 30 plus foot boat, high angle of attack after a trip and you can make it to the bottom.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Would it matter what angle a boat hit a wave? Instead of submarining,slaping it or hitting it mid section?
Maybe but probably not much. The boat's momentum (stored energy) is still along the axis it is travelling on- parallel to the water. When airborne, gravity causes the boat to travel in a parabolic arc downward. If something causes the bow to drop (or more correctly, the stern to rise) that energy is directed downward and into the water. If it's just a situation where you land flat, you're still nose-first into the backside of the next wave. I've not seen every stuff that's ever happened but the one's that I have (in V-bottom boats) are pretty much straight-ins. There's too much buoyancy to submerge going in any other direction, even if some freak occurrence put you in that position. Other than a certain Formula 1 driver that stuffed stern-first. There's an Apache 41 race video floating around the net that shows Warpath sticking the nose in pretty hard and popping right up- that's an example of buoyancy overcoming a boat's desire to submarine. However, if the nose had broken off, we'd have a completely different story.

I can't say that I recall a partial stuff that caused a v-bottom boat to hook. possibly with raceboats in hard turns in rough water- those are usually thought of more as spins. Of course, many cats have had partial stuffs where they catch just one sponson- both straight and turning. That introduces an entirely different set of dynamics.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJD
Sad indeed
I can say that I saw a fountain stuff and hit the bottom. I think it was around 1996 in Key West. A Fountain called "Heart Beat" (I believe B class) stuffed in roughly 15-18' of water. The impact with the ocean floor left very similar damage.
I remember that.................
Attached Thumbnails Boat Crash off Marco Island Today-heartbeat.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by yzbert
We all talk about life jackets, and then most leave them off. My wife makes me wear mine, and i feel like a dork sometimes , but reading things like this makes me want to wear it next time. weather it would have helped here who knows?

On a side note I for one am sick and tired of the florida powerboat club making videos like the one that is posted on oso today. Complete disrespect for safety in this video and many others i have seen from them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGk5H...elated&search=

It is best of 2005 so hopefuly things have changed.

Some of those shots were low speed ICW runs at less than 30 MPH. If you want to wear your lifejacket then do so. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO ENJOY YOUR BOAT WITHOUT THEM. Do you go to Bike Week and preach about the validity of helmets? Your concerns with safety pretty much end with yourself and your guests on your boat not everyone else out there but it is funny you thought the SCOPE pics on another thread showing a Baja 4 feet in the air was cool yet not all the passengers were wearing jackets. Did you get slighted in the past by FPC which is why you are disapproving of their videos?

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 01-08-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris you bring up very good points.
May I add, all the weight is in the aft of the boat, once the nose starts heading down, the inertia of that weight is going to raise the aft further, and send the bow down - isn't this essentially what happens in a "trip", just that it happens very quickly. Kind of like a hammer hitting a nail.
I apologize if this offends anyone, but I this was not started as a memorial thread. And I think there is too much information here to want to close this thread, or move this discussion elsewhere.
If you wish to start a memorial thread, please do. I would feel awkward starting one, as I didn't personally know any of the victims involved, I feel it is not my place.
I do however feel awful for the families involved, and my prayers are with them.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

god bless ...tragic...

Quick Reply: Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.