Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Notices

Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Some of those shots were low speed ICW runs at less than 30 MPH. If you want to wear your lifejacket then do so. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO ENJOY YOUR BOAT WITHOUT THEM. Do you go to Bike Week and preach about the validity of helmets? Your concerns with safety pretty much end with yourself and your guests on your boat not everyone else out there but it is funny you thought the SCOPE pics on another thread showing a Baja 4 feet in the air was cool yet not all the passengers were wearing jackets. Did you get slighted in the past by FPC which is why you are disapproving of their videos?
I agree with yzbert on this one.
I started to give a further explantion as to why, but deleted it. This thread isn't the to place to put this conversation
Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Chris you bring up very good points.
May I add, all the weight is in the aft of the boat, once the nose starts heading down, the inertia of that weight is going to raise the aft further, and send the bow down - isn't this essentially what happens in a "trip", just that it happens very quickly.
Yes
Attached Thumbnails Boat Crash off Marco Island Today-stuff.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom1
I remember that.................
yes it was kw 94 I wae there...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I agree with yzbert on this one.
I started to give a further explantion as to why, but deleted it. This thread isn't the to place to put this conversation

I agree this isn't the thread to discuss as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to send my condolances and prayers to everyone involved in this horrable insident. Very sad.
Of cource I'm very interested to find out what happened to this boat sence I have a 02 33 Powerplay with 496HO's. I think there is an awful lot of simularitys to the Pepe's accedent. Allthough that boat had been re-rigged after it left Powerplay (lightend and balist tanks moved forward) it seems to be the same type of damage. High speed. ocean swells and shallow water ( 10' to 12' ). Trip the boat and stuff the nose into the bottom while the back of the boat goes over at 70,80,90mph and you have this kind of catastrophy. I've looked at several PP's and never seen as much as a spyder crack in one, if there was a crack in that boat I couldn't imagine what it took to do that. Who knows. I just hope they find out the exact cause.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Some of those shots were low speed ICW runs at less than 30 MPH. If you want to wear your lifejacket then do so. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO ENJOY YOUR BOAT WITHOUT THEM. Do you go to Bike Week and preach about the validity of helmets? Your concerns with safety pretty much end with yourself and your guests on your boat not everyone else out there but it is funny you thought the SCOPE pics on another thread showing a Baja 4 feet in the air was cool yet not all the passengers were wearing jackets. Did you get slighted in the past by FPC which is why you are disapproving of their videos?
I dont think you should be required to wear a lifejacket it is personal choice and is not the law. I also do not think the FPC should promote people riding on the sunpad, which I dont believe is legal. the one at 1:30 iam sorry but looks to me to be over 30 mph.

I agree this is not the thread to discuss this and i will drop it, but just to let you know i just got done reading about this tragedy and then clicked on that link. Did not sit well with me.

As I said before by the looks of that boat not sure lifejackets would made a difference, and ironically i think the safest place to be riding my have been the sunpad.

My heart goes out to the families.

scott eaton
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XPRESS 33PP
I just want to send my condolances and prayers to everyone involved in this horrable insident. Very sad.
Of cource I'm very interested to find out what happened to this boat sence I have a 02 33 Powerplay with 496HO's. I think there is an awful lot of simularitys to the Pepe's accedent. Allthough that boat had been re-rigged after it left Powerplay (lightend and balist tanks moved forward) it seems to be the same type of damage. High speed. ocean swells and shallow water ( 10' to 12' ). Trip the boat and stuff the nose into the bottom while the back of the boat goes over at 70,80,90mph and you have this kind of catastrophy. I've looked at several PP's and never seen as much as a spyder crack in one, if there was a crack in that boat I couldn't imagine what it took to do that. Who knows. I just hope they find out the exact cause.
Same here as another 33 PP owner.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fountainracing42
I think this thread is starting to loose face of the real reason it was posted. yzbert...if you dont like the Florida powerboat club video dont watch it. this thread is about the death of fellow boaters not to judge or discuss life jacket saftey or talk about videos, or analize the crash or water depth. If these other subjects need discussion lets start new threads.
What makes you feel like you know the reason the thread was started, all I read in the first post was "not looking good" and a link to the article. That sounds pretty open ended to me. Four people died out there and not only is it an extremely sad sad tradegey it's also a mystery because there was no crash, no bad weather, no high speed cat flip. This could have been any one of us out there having fun and hoping a few waves. Hell I have been on a ton of poker runs with older boats 8' feet or so shorter in huge waves and they came back in one piece. Of course people wonder what happend and since this is Offshore Only, not the funeral home, why shouldn't people be allowed to discuss it. I sometimes think there are more experts here than the so called ones the insurance companies call in.

Life vests are great and I have even sent letters to the mags about it, but they don't always save lives, sometimes they just make it easier to recover. I hope we find out what happened and that is probably something that the grieving father and sister wants to know as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a "life" span for the fiberglass? Does it get weaker after a certain period? Are boats not as safe a certain number of years?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Registered

They found the 4th victim.

Boater's body found off Marco Island

MARCO ISLAND — The body of a 20-year-old man, the fourth person killed in a boating crash, has been recovered, authorities said.

The Collier County Sheriff’s Dive Team found James Molter’s body in about 20 feet of water just after 1 p.m. Monday, said Dani Moschella of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Also killed in Saturday’s crash were Molters mother, Linda Molter, 42; his sister Meagan, 22; and Meagan's fiance, Harper Simpson, 31.

The sole survivor was 16-year-old Jennifer Molter. She was treated for a hip injury and bruises at Naples Community Hospital and released Saturday.

The 30-foot boat did not collide with another boat or hit a fix object. The crash probably occurred when the boat hit the water the wrong way, wildlife commission’s Lt. Roy Payne said. About 80 percent of the boat has been retrieved and will be reconstructed by wildlife commission investigators to study the dynamics of the crash.

The boat belonged to Simpson, who bought the vessel about four weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.