Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Notices

Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

I have no intention of starting a debate, out of respect for all involved.
Just an observation that there is no bow stop as on a trailer, I apologize to anyone who felt my comment was out of line
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

It could have been anything structual or mechanical. I think the video that was posted here with the black hull, "Quiet Riot" showed how fast little things become big crashes.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horrible Horrible News...my Thoughts And Prayers Go Out To The Families Involved...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is certainly a sad occurrence- especially that the victims were so young. While trying to be respectful to the victims and their families, I think these discussions need to happen. Alot of times the driver receives the sole blame- and often justifibly so. In others, it's possible that the equipment is the source of trouble.

After looking at several of the pictures, it strikes me that there was an exceptionally clean separation of the deck from the hull. In the one photo, it appears like a couple of "tabs" that were at an angle, between the deck & hull, still attached to the hull.

I know nothing of how this brand of boat is constructed. I do know that there are many different brands and just as many levels of construction quality. I hope people realize what level of construction they own and treat it accordingly. I fear that's not the case. They all look fast, some aren't as capable as others. One comment I read concerned me- that the driver was doing circles and jumping his own wake. Maybe that's so and maybe he was doing it safely and well away from others. Even so, these boats are made for straight-line performance. They're not Ski-Nautiques that are engineered to turn on a dime. I know first-hand- I just about broke an overbuilt raceboat hull in half behind the bolsters doing just this very thing.

In the end, I think it's important that people come to terms with the capabilities and limitations of the boats that they own as well as understanding long-term and rough-use fatigue issues. As they continue to get lighter as builders look for more and more speed, I expect this will become a more common occurrence.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I agree with sunkin..this is a tragedy for those involved, there friends and loved ones. I think I read that he had gotten the boat recently, so I do not know his experience level. It has been mentioned that it was a pretty calm day, the boat was a 33' and from the ad, had 496's, it wasnt slow but it wasnt all that fast with those motors. It was mentioned that one of the survivors stated the driver said to hold on because of a wave, he made the first wave and apperantly stuffed the second. It has also been said he may have been doing figure '8's and jumping his own wake..in which case he couldnt have been going all that fast either. Point is the boat broke up, structuraly it failed and people were hurt/killed. mind you Im not trying to blame the boat. I am not tryingto place blame anywhere. But I think its important to figure out exactly where, how . and more importantly WHY the boat broke up so this does not happen again. so that no one else is injured or killed. this was a good size popular boat with conservative power and a non stepped hull on a calm day and with the hull and motor size should have been a rather forgiving ride.
I mean no disprect by bringing this up, but I feel the best way we can honor the dead is to learn from there tragedy and protect the living. My condolences to the family , friends and loved ones.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Sad, sincere thoughts for all. Tracy
Old 01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree- we can do it here or start a new thread but I would like to know why this boat broke up as well....
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Prayers to the family and everyone involved
Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a former power play worker and Captain I have Personally stuffed at over 75 mph in ten foot gulfstream waves and filled the cockpit to my waste. Restarted the 502's and punched it right back up on top granted the woman in the rear seat that would not hold on slipped and broke her ankle but the only damage the boat took was the forward hatch bent when the deck flexed as it was designed to do to deflect impact stress totally bonded hull to deck and stringers vinylester boats that are by far the finest ever built . The reason it broke is there was not enough water under it the bottom of the ocean at 70mph plus down ward impact is the reason for this tragedy. May we all learn from these mistakes
Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankF4
As a former power play worker and Captain I have Personally stuffed at over 75 mph in ten foot gulfstream waves and filled the cockpit to my waste. Restarted the 502's and punched it right back up on top granted the woman in the rear seat that would not hold on slipped and broke her ankle but the only damage the boat took was the forward hatch bent when the deck flexed as it was designed to do to deflect impact stress totally bonded hull to deck and stringers vinylester boats that are by far the finest ever built . The reason it broke is there was not enough water under it the bottom of the ocean at 70mph plus down ward impact is the reason for this tragedy. May we all learn from these mistakes
Interesting theory. I remember the Showtime Skater stuffing in Sarasota and deflecting off the bottom. Totally removed the paint from the sponsons......

Scared the hell out of the team.

Quick Reply: Boat Crash off Marco Island Today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.