Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why don't they market (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/14905-why-dont-they-market.html)

nautigirl 01-24-2002 06:34 AM

Why don't they market

more toy offshore boats for kids? My little boy loves boats. But we only have one - a cat Awesome, that came with a semi and trailer. They make Hotwheels of all different types of cars, why doesn't someone do it with boats? :confused:

Iggy 01-24-2002 07:25 AM

You're right.
Cars, race cars, trucks and construction equipment are more popular than boats.
My grandson only became interested in boats after we started taking him out on the water with us. Last Christmas I found a truck with a boat and trailer similar to our Formula. When he shows off the boat he calls it "PopPop's boat". He also has a little car that he rides on and tries to attach things to the back of it so he can tow them around pretending it's our boat trailer. It's cute.

Jana 01-24-2002 08:14 AM

Someone makes a radio-controlled Cigarette Tiger. Matchbox has a bunch of boats in their collection, including an offshore type boat and a center console (looks more like a performance boat than a Grady White-type). There's also a Lego-type set from Mega Blocks of a twin outboard performance boat.
I'm very much a kid at heart and am always on the lookout for neat toy boats.

Boat Girl 01-24-2002 08:39 AM

Try Ny-lynt toys, they do stuff like that, and I think Radio Shack does the R/C boat...Check hobby shops instead of toy stores, you might have better luck

Clackster 01-24-2002 08:40 AM

Nauti,
I have a 3 year old girl that has that same rig and she keeps pulling it out of the toy box,truckin'her boat all over the house.
Kinda brings a tear to my eye. :D

nautigirl 01-24-2002 08:47 AM

Jana - we have a couple of Matchbox ones. They're just so little.

Boatgirl - The Awesome boat that we have is a Nylint one. They make a couple of other ones, but they are fishing boats. I would like to get him more offshore type boats.

Audiofn 01-24-2002 08:56 AM

Probably from the expense of ownership!!! You know all the break downs and repair bills. Could make a kid poor you know :D :D

26scarab 01-24-2002 09:02 AM

I picked up a couple of cool battery operated
plastic offshore boats. They were produced and marketed for the old US Offshore racing league.
Do a search on EBAY for "offshore racing" and they will come up , who knows they might be worth something someday.

Vonbongo 01-24-2002 10:03 PM

My Grandmother bought me a little battery powered boat that was about a foot long a 5 inches wide. Was the early 70's and had an electric outboard motor that ran on 2D batteries. Looked like a cabin cruiser but I messed around with it until it looked like PT 73 (I love McHales navy as a wee lad). Man I played with that thing for years, it was my favorite toy.

Ted G 01-24-2002 11:00 PM

Originally posted by catmando:
<STRONG>That Radio Shack boat is a baaad mother!! Very fast! :cool:</STRONG>
HEY!!! Cat does have a boat :D ;)