Notices

Who runs closed cooling??

Old 01-24-2002, 08:18 AM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Who runs closed cooling??

Does anyone run closed cooling on there boats? Has anyone done it on an HP500?
Old 01-24-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

yeah,,,my parents do w/ 900's...why would u want to do this???
Old 01-24-2002, 08:50 AM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

Audacity, On my 496HO I have found that the closed cooling reduces the amount of temperature variations on the motor. Since the engines computer controls the air fuel mixture based upon thermal properties, it would make since that performance could be potentially enhanced by the use of this system. The second issue is to minimize the amount of seawater intrusion into the motor. Depending on your operating environment you could potentially lengthen the life of your block, heads, waterpump, intake manifold etc.. by the use of these systems. These are a couple of the reasons I asked the question.
What kind of speeds are your parents getting out of there boat with the 900's? Do they ever let you take it out? LOL
Old 01-24-2002, 09:54 AM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

Hey Bill R, You out there?
Old 01-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

Gotta love not having to flush them engines, plus additional life on your motor, sometimes I wish I had closed cooling seeing that I boat 100 percent of the time in salt water
Old 01-24-2002, 10:02 AM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

It only makes since. I went with the 496's due to this feature. The reason it is not standard on all power packages is due to the ability of builders to satisfy cooling requirements without it and reduce production cost. If a good system that folks had used was available for the 500's I would consider it for my next boat.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've also got the 496HO with c/c. It's definately the best feature that you can appreciate on a daily basis. Flushing is a piece of cake, temperatures are always constant, and the best peace of mind comes from knowing that saltwater never gets into the engine. Even when flushing isn't practical on certain occasions when leaving the boat in the water overnight or camping you know the damage won't be as bad. You can also completely evacuate ALL the water from the system with a handy little hand-operated bicycle pump.

Down the road, replacing a heat exchanger and manifolds and risers will cost a lot less than a rotted block, etc!
Old 01-24-2002, 10:18 AM
JIM H
Charter Member

Thumbs up

iam a saltwater boatert.i just bought a new boat and having it installed on both motors.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

JimH, Which motors? Thanks
Old 01-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

that motor u have is not a MAF set up...it is a speed density set-up...so after the warm-up sec. temp is not an issue...headers use raw water...and yes i use the boat a lot....but work on it more..i have a permenate seat right next to the engines!!! for me it's a waste of weight...just take care of it better. we have had a TON of engine failure due to a f'ed up header from salt! not blocks....heat and air combined with salt and water is a very bad thing...block sees no heat or air for the most part.

Quick Reply: Who runs closed cooling??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.