Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Don Aronow a guy you would have hung out with? >

Is Don Aronow a guy you would have hung out with?

Notices

Is Don Aronow a guy you would have hung out with?

Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Is Don Aronow a guy you would have hung out with?

I would have left my wallet and wife at home that is for sure!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely
Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes

Look, you have to keep in mind that when they write articles like that they are always going to go after the stuff that will make it racy....their interest is not in keping you informed, but selling an image of their magazine and they write to build that image.

I first met Don in 1963....I was a poor college student with the emphasis on poor. I loved boat racing and to be around this stuff was like going to a circus every day. He was just starting out in the business and wasn't alegend at the time, just another racer.

Over all the years I knew Don, the one thing that I remember most, was that he was a guy that was always laughing. At himself a lot of times, but also at life. He was a fun guy to be with and always made the most of every situation.

One time I set him up with a question in front of some other racers. Don, you are a friend of mine and I need a special favor. What, he asked. I said....could you introduce me to Jim Wynne? He broke out laughing...he saw the joke made on him and got it.

He didn't come from wealth and I think that slanted him in a way. I saw him help many people who didn't come from money and be ruthless with those who had a silver spoon.

In the 70's when we had the country's first gas lines at the pumps, boat sales tanked...nothing was selling. He told the people at Cigarette...no one gets laid off...just keep making the boats and park them in the yard, this will turn around.
The workers needed a shot of confidence at a time like this and he gave it to them.

Forget all the stuff you read and ask yourself....what other house builder from New Jersey, ever took all of the existing marine talent in Miami, and drew on the strength of each of them, to create major boat companies that continue to exist to this day....and they still use his name as a positive reference.

The guy was cool.....I for one am glad that he was my friend and helped me start a boat co that I could never had done on my own.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
No

But he built great boats and sparked the best pass-time in the world.

I just read Speed Kills, and I totally agree!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Yes

Look, you have to keep in mind that when they write articles like that they are always going to go after the stuff that will make it racy....their interest is not in keping you informed, but selling an image of their magazine and they write to build that image.

I first met Don in 1963....I was a poor college student with the emphasis on poor. I loved boat racing and to be around this stuff was like going to a circus every day. He was just starting out in the business and wasn't alegend at the time, just another racer.

Over all the years I knew Don, the one thing that I remember most, was that he was a guy that was always laughing. At himself a lot of times, but also at life. He was a fun guy to be with and always made the most of every situation.

One time I set him up with a question in front of some other racers. Don, you are a friend of mine and I need a special favor. What, he asked. I said....could you introduce me to Jim Wynne? He broke out laughing...he saw the joke made on him and got it.

He didn't come from wealth and I think that slanted him in a way. I saw him help many people who didn't come from money and be ruthless with those who had a silver spoon.

In the 70's when we had the country's first gas lines at the pumps, boat sales tanked...nothing was selling. He told the people at Cigarette...no one gets laid off...just keep making the boats and park them in the yard, this will turn around.
The workers needed a shot of confidence at a time like this and he gave it to them.

Forget all the stuff you read and ask yourself....what other house builder from New Jersey, ever took all of the existing marine talent in Miami, and drew on the strength of each of them, to create major boat companies that continue to exist to this day....and they still use his name as a positive reference.

The guy was cool.....I for one am glad that he was my friend and helped me start a boat co that I could never had done on my own.

Thanks Charlie.......that's what I needed to hear.

What does the Jim Wynne joke mean?.....

Aaron
Old 01-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 362 Likes on 207 Posts

The Man.........................
Attached Thumbnails Is Don Aronow a guy you would have hung out with?-28_4_donaronow_m.jpg  
Old 01-14-2007, 03:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Yes

An optimistic and down to earth Racer and man shortly.
Those telling others have strong egos are the ones who do lack it totally...
Thanks Charlie you made my day with those words!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 24degrees
Thanks Charlie.......that's what I needed to hear.

What does the Jim Wynne joke mean?.....

Aaron
I asked him to introduce me to Jim Wynne. (Who I already knew and Don knew that)

At that time Don had already won all his championships and was considered a big deal in his own right.....my asking him that was llike saying....hey Don your just a racer like the rest of us....BUT Jim Wynne....he is like a god...can you introduce me to HIM !!!

Don knew I was making fun of him and got a big kick out of it.

Another time after he sold me the molds from Cigarette, he asked me one day..."You know why I sold you the molds?"
I looked at him dead serious and said "Yeah, you needed the money" He laughed his head off.

He said...."No, because I knew you could do it." He had the coinfidence in me and that gave me the confidence to do it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely
Old 01-14-2007, 02:14 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a doubt

Quick Reply: Is Don Aronow a guy you would have hung out with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.