Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Flushing a 500efi after in salt water??? >

Flushing a 500efi after in salt water???

Notices

Flushing a 500efi after in salt water???

Old 01-13-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flushing a 500efi after in salt water???

OKOK I know I am going to catch crap, but what is the best way to flush a 500efi I/O w/ Bravo 1 low water pick ups (thus muffs won't work),

1. It their some type of hose adapter I can but to hook right to the motor?

2. Put a huge bucket or bag w/ fresh water around the outdrive, of course with the hose on full blast?

What is the best way? also is their anything else I should do? I have never put my boat in straight salt water and its looking like I will be in FL for the next 1-2 years.

Thanks
WILL
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Default Re: Flushing a 500efi after in salt water???

HOPE THIS HELPS.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...+PICK+FLUSHING

ALSO YOU CAN INSTALL AN ONBOARD FLUSH SYSTEM.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=FLUSHING
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally Fountains have a inboard flush device hooked up to them. I use to use that in my 29 Fountain. You can still use muffs but you need to tape over the low water pick up or use the cap and strap device you can buy at Merc dealers.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Off topic... but, I love your Mario quote in your signature. I've never heard it before!!!!!

Joe

P.S. You won't get any crap about your request. We've come to expect the unexpected from the Fountain clan! haha.....

In all seriousness... go to West Marine etc.... and ask your question... they'll give you the proper flusher, if your boat doesn't have one built in (as prev. posted).
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Will, see my post on the thread linked above (and below). I absolutely hate earmuffs. (There does exist a bullet cup with a garden hose fitting for LWP only drives.) The best way is to install a T-fitting into the raw water inlet hose. When the water hose it turned on and the engine is off, it flushes back through the drive. When the engine is running, it sucks the water into the SWP and through the motor. You have to run the engine up to temp to open the thermostat for a full system flush. It sounds gross, but a dixie-cup taste of the water coming out of the exhaust will tell you when you are salt-free. On your single engine boat, this is a pretty easy install.

Some chose to use Salt-Away as an additive to the flush water; available at West Marine and the like.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=148413

Example of LWP pickup flush kit:
http://www.bobsmachine.com/Products/flush_Kit.cfm
I think Mercury makes one too.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-13-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 2,950 Likes on 978 Posts

Been boating in my own boats in mainly salt water for about 10 years with out one "salt water aided" mechanical problem.

I used to flush my Baja with the ear muffs. I liked the ones you actually stick the steel rod through the drive and it clamps on. The other type tend to slip off with pressure from the hose.

Go to West Marine and buy the Salt Away kit that has the flush nozzle system that hooks to your hose. Flush the motor with straight water for 5-8 minutes then flush with the salt away until the little cup is almost clear. stop the motor before you completely run out of salt away. I always like to leave the soapy residue inside the motor to continue to fight corrossion.

Not only flush your motor with the salt away, spray the whole boat down, and spray the sh!t out of the transom/drive paying special attn. to spray deep into the gimble housing.

For anyone that boats in salt water regularly they'll tell you that it's not as bad as everyone says, you just need to properly clean afterwards.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, I some time until I need to worry, my boat is still in VA, but will be bringing it down prob in may.

WILL
Old 01-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Thanks for the advice, I some time until I need to worry, my boat is still in VA, but will be bringing it down prob in may.

WILL
Ear muffs will work on B1's even with LWP's, once the motor starts the water slows to a dribble coming out of the LWP's and the impeller pulls the water up.

You need to get that boat here in March, not May. FPC has the Palm Beach Poker Run in March and that is right in your backyard.