Notices

Sunseeker Tomahawk

Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunseeker Tomahawk

Anyone have any opinions or know much about Sunseekers? I sold my 35 Formula about a year ago when we were expecting a baby. I miss boating and have a buddy selling his 1997 41' Sunseeker Tomahawk. I think I could get a good deal on it. It seems like a boat I could have fun with and still stay on it with the wife and baby.

Any opinions on them? They seem pretty rare in the US. I can't find much about the boat. I greatly appreciate it.

Brent
Old 01-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sunseeker Tomahawk

Sunseeker is more widly know for their cruisers/yachys/sedans than the performance line. My favorite is the entire Preadator series. Norton Anderson has a Sunseeker, Im sure he'll chime in on this in the AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:47 AM
Registered

It's more of a cruiser than a performance boat. Great for a family and the Tomahawk, even though 10 years old, still looks great IMO.

However, they are wide and heavy. I don't think you can trailer one legally. Because of the weight and the fact that they are more family-oriented, they make more sense with diesels. If the one you're talking about is fitted with 454s, it's not going to be fast.

Other than that, the hull design by Don Shead is fine. It's a safe and comfortable hull which will handle rough stuff quite well. However, it's not built like a true offshore powerboat. If you are tempted to repower and make it faster or have fun in the rough, be ready to pay the bills. Elements of the interior will come loose, gelcoat will definitely crack. In general, the finish looks fantastic and very luxurious on whatever meets the eye but underneath, while not bad, it's very average.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sunseekers and they are great boats, with a very clever design and use of space. But you must not confuse it with a true performance boat.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

you dont think you could get the job done with a Sonic or an AT???.......you only have one kid!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

Thanks for the opinions guys. Keep 'em coming.

This Sunseeker has the 502 MPIs. So, I am guessing 50ish is about it. I'm sure it drinks gas too. I'd prefer diesels. The wife never liked to go fast and with the kiddo she'll like it even less. So, speed is not a big issue.

Build quality is what I am most concerned about. I have heard Sunseekers were some of the best. But, there is not much info. out there on them. All I know is it's british and they "claim" to be the Rolls Royce of boats.

I have thought about looking for a performance boat with some head room. We would actually be staying on this boat for the weekends. So, I am thinking a Sonic, AT, etc. is just going to give me more head room and not necessarily a lot of amenities for over-nighting.

We only have one kid now. But, the wife wants more. I want a Cigarette. She's going to get it her way. So, the Sunseeker (or something like it) is a good compromise I think. My dad has a 400SS Formula and we enjoy it. Although when I am on it I do miss the speed.

I was going to wait another year or so to start looking. The Sunseeker belongs to a friend / business associate and I know I could get a good deal on it.

Thank you,

B

Old 01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered

With 502s, you're probably looking at around 50. And if that is not a problem, they are great family boats that offer a lot of weekend space and volume without looking like a shoebox on water.

However, they are definitely not a Rolls-Royce. On the yacht market, Sunseekers are regarded as average quality yachts with very modern and hip styling and clever use of space but no serious professional is ever going to tell you that they are up there in terms of quality. It is not even a matter of fit and finish which are good, it's a question of materials and fittings that are used which are flimsy at times. This is why they generally do not age very well if they are not impeccably looked after. They have a reputation of being yachts that offer a lot of outside appeal for the money but less substance than some other, less hip competitors.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by super termoli
With 502s, you're probably looking at around 50. And if that is not a problem, they are great family boats that offer a lot of weekend space and volume without looking like a shoebox on water.

However, they are definitely not a Rolls-Royce. On the yacht market, Sunseekers are regarded as average quality yachts with very modern and hip styling and clever use of space but no serious professional is ever going to tell you that they are up there in terms of quality. It is not even a matter of fit and finish which are good, it's a question of materials and fittings that are used which are flimsy at times. This is why they generally do not age very well if they are not impeccably looked after. They have a reputation of being yachts that offer a lot of outside appeal for the money but less substance than some other, less hip competitors.
That is exactly what I have heard as well.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked. This boat is a '97 so I would be concerned about how it ages. It is a pretty cool looking boat.

Would the Sunseeker quality not be on par with Formula?

When speaking about the materials quality what would be the biggest areas of concern? Hull construction?, Rigging?

Anything in aprticular to look out for? I'm going to go out in the boat next weekend.

Thanks again,

B
Old 01-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

i rode in a 48 with tripple 502s, Very nice Boat!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:52 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Whats wrong with a fountain or formula performance cruiser?

Quick Reply: Sunseeker Tomahawk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.