Notices

Lake Powell Boating???

Old 01-10-2002, 07:38 PM
dallas01

Post Lake Powell Boating???

I was going to travel to Lake Powell from Illinois next summer. Has anyone every boated there and if so, what's it like?? Can you stay close to the lake?? Any place to pull on shore??

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Powell is absolutely stunning for boating.....lots of cliffs and caverns....rock formations......I sold my last boat to a guy who lives in Grand Junction CO. and he does all his boating there......he has sent pictures and they are spectacular......lodging in Bull Frog basin.....small airport there too.....You will really enjoy it!!
Old 01-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Kentz

I second that, recommend wahweap lodge and marina, Page Az. Use to boat there every year. It gets my vote for absolute best boating lake in N.AMERICA. ps you cannot see it all in a week
www.vistlakepowell.com

Old 01-10-2002, 10:55 PM
a711

A very beautiful site, but the altitude kills the speed, make sure to bring smaller pitch prop's, probably 2 pitch's down from what your normally run....

GR

Oh yeah, and it gets cold at night, so bring some warm clothes, also known for voilent storms that blow in out of nowhere in a matter of minutes, just find your way to a cove and wait it out, don't try to navigate it.

GR

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: highbidder ]

Old 01-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Registered

Talking

We boat there almost every other year, including 2001. They are right, you can't see it all in a week. We use a houseboat for a hotel and take a Hallett or two to go touring. Lots to see, too many arms and coves to count, its really best with someone who's knows the lake (a guide). Wahweep out of Page is the place to start. Watch out for the rental houseboats, they're pretty much junk and cost about $1200 per day plus gas/oil/repairs/food/beer, etc. The nights aren't as cold as all that in Aug/Sept. Also, with a 502EFI its ran great w/only 1 props size down.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:03 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Cool

I too love Powell. The only downside is that after spending a week on Powell, it spoils you for every other lake you will ever boat on. It is that beautiful and spectacular. Imagine cruising through a canyon that is 40 feet wide, with 500 foot tall red rock cliffs, and 300 feet of water below ya, and then suddenlty it opens up to a emerald green lagoon that is 1/4 mile across, only to go back to a winding canyon. Some of these canyons go back for 15+ miles. Reflection Canyon is one of my favorites. It's about 69 miles up lake from the dam and well worth the trip there.

I've never done the houseboat thing there elsewhere, but would love do it on Powell. We always stay at one of the hotels/motels in Page, AZ, which is about 5 miles from Wahweep Marina. For as long as you're actually in your hotel room, most folks don't need to have luxurious accomodations. Just a decent, clean room to rest before you venture out the next morning. The Wahweep Lodge is nice, and it right next to the marina, but is friggin expensive and very crowded! I prefer to stay in Page and got to some of the different restaurants in town for dinners. Don't wait to make hotel reservations either, they fill up 6-8 months in advance during the summer months. To make it even easier, I always call many months in advance and reserve a slip for the entire time I will be there. You have to call Wahweep Marina direct, and they can reserve a slip up to six months in advance. It's the best $10 a day you'll spend.

One of my favorite things to do is find a nice secluded beach somewhere and the spend the night there. Just a one night thing, but it is soooo beautiful out there, you won't want to go in at night. Plan ahead and bring some dinner and breakfast for the next day. You also must make several stops at Dangling Rope Marina for some of their soft serve ice cream. I don't know if it's because it is in the middle of nowhere, or it's 100+ degrees outside, or what, but their ice cream is outstanding.

Also make sure you bring a GPS and buy a good chart of the lake. It is HUGE and you can easily get lost or turned around. Watch the weather too. During the hot summer months, powerful thunderstorms brew up and come on pretty fast. The lake can turn real nasty with 6-foot+ swells during these storms. If you are in a well protected cove, it is usually best to sit tight and wait them out.

Enjoy your trip. Once you go to Powell, you will always want to go back.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:12 AM
Registered

Question

If your boat is equipped with a genset, heat and a/c, could you get by staying at the marinas rather than out on the lake ? I understand the lake is much too deep to anchor and you must beach your boat if you are going to stay out. I read something that the marinas are about 50 miles apart. Do they offer transient accomodations ?
Old 01-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Talking

laveyman said it all, except that there is over 2000 miles of shoreline. Only Wahweep has living quarters that I know of, but you need reservations as much as a year ahead, 2 years for a houseboat. And yes, it can be difficult to anchor in many of the coves unless you got 500+ foot of line. Beaching is always best. It would take a book to say all the things about Powell.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:19 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

There is lodging at Bullfrog bay, along with Page, AZ. You should reserve the rooms now for summer though. The lake is amazing and one can spend weeks exploring the canyons. Enjoy, you will be impressed.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Smile

Dallas01,

Try this link and you can read a story about a trip to Lake Powell that AHBA made last summer. Lots of pictures too.

AHBA Powell Fun Run 2001

Quick Reply: Lake Powell Boating???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.