Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Garage Door Height (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/149514-garage-door-height.html)

NoQuarter 01-18-2007 12:13 PM

Garage Door Height

What garage door height is required for a 29 Fountain (smaller windscreen, not the center post windscreen), 288 Sunsation (race fairing, not windscreen model) or, 28 Active Thunder?

Prefer 10', but would have to do lots of landscaping to get overall building height down.

But, would an 8' foot door even work? Understanding that there would be no room to open hatch fully with 10' ceiling... Just trying to keep boat out of the snow and, falling ice coated branches.

Wobble 01-18-2007 01:22 PM

Re: Garage Door Height

It's really going to depend on the trailer and how the bunks were installed. You are going to have to measure your combination to see what will work

Chris Sunkin 01-18-2007 02:10 PM

The typical 8' height door ends up being about 6" less as the door tracks aren't set above the opening. You can get track extensions that will allow the door to open to full opening height. I had to do that after a slight lift on the Excursion.

Audiofn 01-18-2007 02:25 PM

I would go as tall as you can. It seems that 10 feet is a much better height. My last place had an 11 foot door and my Formula fit in with about 1 foot under the windshield.

Jon

Mentalpause 01-18-2007 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 1997449)
The typical 8' height door ends up being about 6" less as the door tracks aren't set above the opening. You can get track extensions that will allow the door to open to full opening height. I had to do that after a slight lift on the Excursion.

My 8 foot door opens above the opening, and the tracks sit more like 6 inches above the opening. When fully open the bottom of my door is about 2-3 inches above the 8 foot opening. Sounds to me like somebody put the wrong tracks on there 8 foot door.

BadDog 01-18-2007 07:41 PM

Not clear if you are building or modifying. If building you can go with a scissor truss. This gives you more inside height while keeping the overall door and building height down.

If building new and you have a straight shot at the door you can drop the concrete in the wheel path for some additional headroom.

Griff 01-18-2007 10:44 PM

My 28 Pantera will fit under 8' door.....barely.

US1 Fountain 01-18-2007 11:38 PM

My 27 Fountain fit under my standard 7' door no problem. That boat had the race fairing, which is shorter than the normal plexy w/s by the amount of the upper curved part. However that was on a torsion axle trialer, which lets the boat sit lower than normal. So right combination happen to work out.
My current 32, I had to change over to a 8' door for the plexy w/s to clear. I have about 6" clearance. Trailer is leaf spring type.

Audiofn 01-18-2007 11:53 PM

Don't forget that it could matter if you are driving straite in or if you have a lift or anthing like that in the driveway.

Jon

mboger 01-19-2007 07:46 AM

what ever you do go as tall as you possibly can who knows what kind of boat you will have next year