Notices

Fast pontoon boat?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fast pontoon boat?

My dad is looking to replace his 24ft pontoon with a 50HP Yammie. He wants to stay with a pontoon, but something with more HP and better handling. We saw manitou pontoons at the boat show, and they claim 50+ mph with a 250 outboard, and they showed a video of one turning at 40mph like a v hull. I was impressed.

What other manufactures make fast pontoons that can handle? Thanks, MT
Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fast pontoon boat?

IMHO pontoon boats are for cruising slowly. The "fast" pontoon boat company had a crash last year and I believe there was a fatality. Be safe!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Pontoons are the mini-vans of the boat world. That would be like shoving a 572 crate motor into a 1990 Chevy Lumina van without upgrading the frame, brakes, and suspension.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe the boat that crashed was one with twin or triple outboards that went like 75mph or something. Im not looking for one of those. Just one that does 45-50. I agree, pontoons are not perfomance boats, but they are the ultimate party boat for the lake.

I see pontoons on my lake all the time with 200 or 250HP outboards, and some with small blocks and thru hull exhaust. In reality, when you compare a 45mph pontoon boat, to a similiar length v-hull, you get a ton more room on a pontoon, and a much more comfortable ride, pull skiers, tubers, etc. Pontoons have came a long way from our first one in the 80's with a 30HP outboard.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!

Are you talking about a pontoon (with aluminum sponsons) or a fibergalss deck boat ? (which are very roomy and cool for partying) I would say no to pontoon and yes to the deck boats, they are cool.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not lie, I had a place at LOTO and got tired of towing the 38 back and forth all the time for short weekends and tired of the cleaning so i bought a 26' powertoon extreme made by Playcraft. 200 hp mercury optimax, 4 miles to the gallon, upper 40mph top end, wipe the seats, stick it in the parking lot at my condo when i was done, it was nice. Several friends rode on mine at the lake at the shootout in 2001 and bought them for their places in Florida. Next to no maintence and rode awesome in the rought stuff. Again, this was the "tri-toon". By the way, had 16 people on it with 5 cases of beer and drinks pulling a skier for the 4th of july one year too.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Registered

Bennington also makes fast pontoons. A friend of mine has a 28 footer with a 175 Yamaha 4 stroke and runs just under 40mph. This is also a tri-toon (triple aluminum pontoons). I don't think I'll ever sell my fast boat, but after riding in his boat, I would own one. (and my Skater). Later, Dave
Old 01-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hey don't get me wrong - I've got a 30 ft Lakes Craft pontoon boat w/ a V-6 I/O. Love it but it mostly stays off plane - putt - putt! I love ramming that thing on the shore!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

I bought a Harris Crowne with a 225 Honda and couldn't be happier with it. It runs about 46. I looked at Bennington and they are nice too but I liked the looks of the Harris. Check out there web site.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:50 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hammer01
i bought a 26' powertoon extreme made by Playcraft. 200 hp mercury optimax, 4 miles to the gallon, upper 40mph top end, wipe the seats, stick it in the parking lot at my condo when i was done, it was nice. Next to no maintence and rode awesome in the rought stuff. Again, this was the "tri-toon".
I just bought another Powertoon Extreme last year for use at LOTO. Put a 275 Verado on it (last one had a 300X). It's a blast, troublefree, rides great and runs 53+. Friends and family use it when visiting my lakehouse. We also use it for crew and rescue when testing.

Quick Reply: Fast pontoon boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.