Notices

Hawks Cay

Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hawks Cay

Whale Harbor Inn on Islamarda is the best seafood buffet going. it's about 40 minutes north. Just nice ride through the mid keys.

Key West is about 1.45hrs south of Duck Key in case you need some nightlife.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You will love it! Have been there many times!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
Whale Harbor Inn on Islamarda is the best seafood buffet going. it's about 40 minutes north. Just nice ride through the mid keys.

Key West is about 1.45hrs south of Duck Key in case you need some nightlife.

Where would you dock the boat?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 PM
BK
Registered

This is a fantastic place --- we went 2 years ago thanks to the suggestion I got from fellow OSO'ers.

I know that if you rent one of the villas on the water, you will be directly on the docks. Not sure if you can rent one of those slips or not tho...but we did see a manatee there.

A couple of years ago we rented one of the 2 bedroom/2 bath villas w/kitchen and living room. We had two families with a total of 5 kids, ages 6-11. It was wonderful!

We didn't do the dolphin experience, but our kids loved renting the little boats on the lagoon, as well as the pre teen "club house" (a "kids nightclub" where they can play video games/soft drinks/pizza and its for "kids only").

But for mom and dad --- You just *have* to go out to dinner at Little Palm Island, which is an adults only resort. Phenomenal. (Hawks Cay has great BABYSITTERS too! So you can leave the kids behind).
Check it out:
http://www.littlepalmisland.com/
You will take a classic boat ride out to the island, and dine on the beach while the sun sets! Absolutely GORGEOUS! I was told this was the #1 honeymooners spot. It's located a mile or so offshore of Little Torch Key.

We did go on the group snorkeling (left right from our dock) and saw a shark, sea turtle and barracuda as well as lots of other cool fish. But it was only a 2 hour trip. So, the next day we rented our own deck boat and went out near the same spot and snorkeled all day long. IMO, the deck boat was well worth the relatively low cost, if you like to snorkel.

As for food --- if you rent the villas, you'll also have your own kitchen. Just a walk down the dock (away from the inn) there's a grocery store and another restaurant that was pretty good. But both the hotel restaurant and the other one were on the expensive side when you stay 3-4 days, so feeding the kids OJ, Cheerios and bananas from our own kitchen each morning was a big bonus! And avoiding the breakfast wait gave us more time for the fun stuff.

You'll LOVE IT!
enjoy!
BK~

Last edited by BK; 01-21-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
thanks guys... just booked the room.

Is the deckboat rental or snorkling worth it?
The kids never snorkled anywhere good.
Any other activities while i'm there for the short time?
Any restaruants to go outside the hotel?
I need some conch chowder!!!
The "Waters Edge" at Hawks Cay is very good. Mikes Sunset cafe is just down the road in Grassy Key. Cabana Breezes in Key Colony Beach (mm 54) is good for lunch and dinner you sit next to the ocean. Barracuda Grill (Marathon) is good but pricey also they don't take reservation so be there by 6. Castaways on the other end of Marathon is good but kind of hard to find MM 48. Going up the other way Bentleys is always good around mm 85 or so always busy make reservations. Have fun the weathers has been in the 80s.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Hawks Cay

Yes, the "Waters Edge" @ Hawks Cay & as mentioned, Little Palm Island(pricey but worth it) are both a lot of fun. And the diving is the best around. Highly recommend Hawks Cay Resort. Ed
Old 01-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

BBB725..........I was at Cabana Breezes and the KCB park a lot last week.....your house is magnificent.
pd
Rob..........I emailed all of my recommendations.......you will have a great time..........be sure to take the kids to 7 mile bridge and look for Tilden at the dive shop at HC pd
Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

You're gonna love it down there! I don't think you can go wrong with a Keys vacation...

I was there last year and we stayed on Marathon at the Hammocks. There was a boat rental place onsite and the boating and fishing was fantastic. We were having a few Corona's at the Tiki Bar the first day and my wife asked me what I thought and if there was anything missing... The only thing I could think of that was missing was my boat, other than that it was perfect.

We ate at Cabots, Porkys (not my favorite), and two other places (can't remember the names). Drove down to Key West One day, went to Sombrero Beach another. The Lobster Reuben that Scottb recommeneded were excellent!

Ahhhhh, I could go for a trip like that again..... Nothing to do but drink rum runners, go boating and relax...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When i was 12 & 13 i spent my summer at a marine science camp in Big Pine Key. All I did was hang out w/ 15-17yr old girls in Bikini's.
I think this time around will be a great time, but quite different from then.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat D
BBB725..........I was at Cabana Breezes and the KCB park a lot last week.....your house is magnificent.
pd
Rob..........I emailed all of my recommendations.......you will have a great time..........be sure to take the kids to 7 mile bridge and look for Tilden at the dive shop at HC pd
I was in Orlando last week, just got back Sunday. Glad to be back where its warm, 50 degree morning just don't cut it. The house is almost done still need the gate and walls finished outfront. Stop in some time and say HI.

Brooks

Quick Reply: Hawks Cay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.