Corps To Announce Low Water Levels At Lake Cumberland >

Corps To Announce Low Water Levels At Lake Cumberland

Notices

Corps To Announce Low Water Levels At Lake Cumberland

Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy Corps To Announce Low Water Levels At Lake Cumberland

Stake Holders on Lake Cumberland were told late this last week that water levels in the lake would be kept very low for the next 18 months. The Corps of Engineers will announce this formally on Monday. The lake will be kept about 10 feet below winter pool(680 ft.) The lake level will end up being about 45 feet from the treeline. There still will be a lake to enjoy but it will present many fewer options for launch ramps as many will be high and dry. Marinas will have to move docks to accomadate. Apparently the engineers have been increasingly concerned about the integrity of the dam. For those who don't know, Phase I work has begun on a 300 million dollar project to grout(power inject concrete into the earthen part of the dam on both sides of the crest.) This is expected to take about 3 years, after which the phase II work will start. This phase will involve constructing a solid concrete wall deep into the bedrock the whole span of the earthen section of the dam.
It has been reported that if the dam were to be catastrophically breached low levels of Nashville, somewhere around 100 miles away could be flooded with 20 ft. of water and could also cause the breach of other Cumberland River Dams.
This is bad news for the Cumberland boaters but I guess drift won't be a problem.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:27 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Corps To Announce Low Water Levels At Lake Cumberland

I have read about this on the Lake Cumberland Message board and I guess it will become reality this year.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems speculation is over and the plan is firm. Around December they thought they'd be able to keep it at normal pool in the summer. One of my good friends in Somerset is the City Engineer. They have been asked if they could supply water at 610 which is approximately the original level of the River. It seems however that the Corps. is considering the recreational importance of the dam as well as the profound economic impact of the Lake.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keeping it below the tree level should decrease the amount of wood in the water in early spring correct??
Old 01-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Seems speculation is over and the plan is firm. Around December they thought they'd be able to keep it at normal pool in the summer. One of my good friends in Somerset is the City Engineer. They have been asked if they could supply water at 610 which is approximately the original level of the River. It seems however that the Corps. is considering the recreational importance of the dam as well as the profound economic impact of the Lake.
From my dealings with the Corp. "the recreational importance of the dam" is the last thing there concerned about. They told me they could not care less about boaters and dock owner. They said that Corp. lakes were for flood control and recreation was the least of there concerns.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just went through this very same issue here at Lake Murray. Be prepared for delays and timing to stretch out much further, it did for us. The lake here was down for over 3 years until they raised the levels. Then after less than 1 year up they drew it down again for a year due to "unforeseen issues" and now it is coming back up FINALLY. I believe it has now been going on for 4.5 yrs

I hope y'all have better luck than we did with timing and work delays
Old 01-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

We also just went through the same thing here on Lake Lanier , they claimed to have been reading the gauge wrong , etc. We're filling up now , I bet by Spring we'll be back to normal.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
We also just went through the same thing here on Lake Lanier , they claimed to have been reading the gauge wrong , etc. We're filling up now , I bet by Spring we'll be back to normal.
Brian,
I thought this was the reason for the draw down @ Lanier?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=133516

I think Nordic is suppose to have a east coast reggata @
Lake Cumberland this year? I wonder how that is going to effect the Nordic regatta?
?
Bummer.
Dean
Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yea that was the etc - haha. I think they have it resolved. The lake is rising daily.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:57 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like more trips to FL this summer.

Quick Reply: Corps To Announce Low Water Levels At Lake Cumberland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.