Like Tree0Likes

Whats better in the rough Cat or Vee?

Reply
Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
  #101
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member
 
Cash Bar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the way to a PR near you
My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods
Posts: 11,958
Default

Okay, I knew it was around then. Man, I'm getting old faster than I thought.

He was in a Formula F-2 if I remember correctly. Very sad.
__________________
Your OSO connection to great S. Florida Real Estate.
www.gregsellswaterfront.com
Cash Bar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
  #102
OSO OG
Gold Member
 
DollaBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default

Still go with the V. And the guys mentioned are the ones who've gotten press thus far behind the sticks. There are some shining stars in the JV lineup.

Absolutely no disrespect to my friends mentioned on the list.
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
  #103
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche3Six View Post
8' to 10' waves? Wave height is the vertical distance from the top of the crest to the bottom of the trough. Let's see the video of that race.
thats a wave breaking on a beach, theres a different look to a 8 to 10 foot wave out on the ocean there not curling over straight up as they break on shore as they get straight up from the sudden shallow beach when your offshore they have say a 45 to 60 degree maybe more or less of attack you now that so the wave is 10ft top to bottom but angle is different from a wave breaking on land
waterboy
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
  #104
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Jeff Defrees
Mark kowalski
Steve Curtis
Reggie Fountain III
Billy Moore
Rich Wyatt
Herb Stotler
Bob Teague
Gary Balllough
Mike Standcombe
Joey Gratton

Just a few more off the top of my head who will crush Vees in Rough water throttling a cat
After to day you can add Gerry knot right
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
  #105
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Comanche3Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
thats a wave breaking on a beach, theres a different look to a 8 to 10 foot wave out on the ocean there not curling over straight up as they break on shore as they get straight up from the sudden shallow beach when your offshore they have say a 45 to 60 degree maybe more or less of attack you now that so the wave is 10ft top to bottom but angle is different from a wave breaking on land
waterboy
That pic was to show what a 10' wave looks like. I don't see a 36' any type of boat running in 10' seas. It is too big. Kawabunga!
Comanche3Six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
  #106
OSO OG
Gold Member
 
DollaBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
thats a wave breaking on a beach, theres a different look to a 8 to 10 foot wave out on the ocean there not curling over straight up as they break on shore as they get straight up from the sudden shallow beach when your offshore they have say a 45 to 60 degree maybe more or less of attack you now that so the wave is 10ft top to bottom but angle is different from a wave breaking on land
waterboy
WTF are you guys talking about? . Wave ht is measured from crest to trough in the open ocean. a 4' vertical wave is 4' ABOVE AND 4' BELOW sea level.... that means an 8 FOOT WALL.

ASG and I came back to Ft. Laud in his 38 TG a few years ago in 4-6's (8 to 12' walls). That boat is a beast. When we slowe doen inside Port Everglades (Laud) the rub rails were kinked out 4" at the helm both sides. THATS HOW MUCH FLEX AND TORTURE THE HULL TOOK DURING THAT 30 MILE RUN. That being said our avg speed was 68.something mph

Brad please jump in here.
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 PM
  #107
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
you left out the likes of joey impressia ,terry ayres and quite a few other old timers who qualify for that list.. i've got a funny herb stotler story for you!
Bobby Moore to he did nice job in KW 94 WORLDS won open, but it was sad we lost TOM G. in open that week, and liked smitty smith he was a funny guy that week also.
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
  #108
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Wink

dollabill I have seen waves say 3 to 5ft on top of 20ft swells swells so if a trough of a wave is on top or the middle of a gaint 20ft swell thats not sea level to me. what your talking about to is if your running in 4 footers and every 6 waves a hole opens up now you are in hole minus sea level is that watch cha mean. other this summer I will walk off the beach with my carpet tape measure its a good one doesn't flex at 7' wholed my breath have someone on the beach to help measure waves coming to see if the trough is always below sea level. ps I can hold my breath for a whole bunch WaterBoy OUT! aka artie farty oops.
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 PM
  #109
Registered
 
PhantomChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bell Canyon, CA
My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
Posts: 12,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
WTF are you guys talking about? . Wave ht is measured from crest to trough in the open ocean. a 4' vertical wave is 4' ABOVE AND 4' BELOW sea level.... that means an 8 FOOT WALL.

ASG and I came back to Ft. Laud in his 38 TG a few years ago in 4-6's (8 to 12' walls). That boat is a beast. When we slowe doen inside Port Everglades (Laud) the rub rails were kinked out 4" at the helm both sides. THATS HOW MUCH FLEX AND TORTURE THE HULL TOOK DURING THAT 30 MILE RUN. That being said our avg speed was 68.something mph

Brad please jump in here.

Wave Anatomy:

Still-Water Line - The level of the sea surface if it were perfectly calm and flat.

Crest - The highest point on the wave above the still-water line.

Trough - The lowest point on the wave below the still-water line.

Wave Height - The vertical distance between crest and trough.

Wavelength - The horizontal distance between successive crests or troughs.

Wave Period - The time it takes for one complete wave to pass a particular point.

Wave Frequency - The number of waves that pass a particular point in a given time period.

Amplitude - One-half the wave height or the distance from either the crest or the trough to the still-water line.

Depth - the distance from the ocean bottom to the still-water line.

Direction of Propagation - the direction in which a wave is travelling.







End of lesson!!!!!!!!!
PhantomChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:20 AM
  #110
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Wave Anatomy:

Still-Water Line - The level of the sea surface if it were perfectly calm and flat.

Crest - The highest point on the wave above the still-water line.

Trough - The lowest point on the wave below the still-water line.

Wave Height - The vertical distance between crest and trough.

Wavelength - The horizontal distance between successive crests or troughs.

Wave Period - The time it takes for one complete wave to pass a particular point.

Wave Frequency - The number of waves that pass a particular point in a given time period.

Amplitude - One-half the wave height or the distance from either the crest or the trough to the still-water line.

Depth - the distance from the ocean bottom to the still-water line.

Direction of Propagation - the direction in which a wave is travelling.







End of lesson!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU SIR may I have another ps I am going to copy THAT Sir
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Brian C
General Boating Discussion
6
08-23-2007 06:06 PM
Construkta
General Q & A
8
04-17-2007 08:26 PM
JC
Cigarette
5
04-12-2004 06:17 PM
shifter
General Boating Discussion
11
08-15-2003 08:37 PM
johnnyboatman
General Boating Discussion
17
12-31-2002 05:56 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.