Members in Hilton Head & Savannah area

Notices

Members in Hilton Head & Savannah area

Old 01-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Members in Hilton Head & Savannah area

Curious what the boating is like in this area. Is this for the cruising or fishing crowd? Looks like it might be shallow water in many areas.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Default Re: Members in Hilton Head & Savannah area

Ive spent many a summer at tybee island just south of HH and there is a lack of performance boats around our families hangouts. I always see fishing boats.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Registered

mostly cruisers and a lot of fishing. My parents have a place in HH. My dad tells me that some of the yatchts are incredible as we could all imagine with the $$ in HH. He did say this past fall that he saw a Fountain (smaller) and another sportboat but didn"t see a make. Maybe times are starting to change.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great area for all types of boating. Not too many sportboats around yet, but that will change. You can tie right up at River Street in Savannah for dining or shopping and then be out in some beautiful nature within 10 minutes cruise. Main thing is to keep track of the tides as they can be up to 8 feet
Old 01-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Went to Boat U.S. when at Hilton Head. The store manager noticed my cat t-shirt and asked if I was one of the racing boat people who were trying to find a ramp to take their boats out of the water. Apparently there was some of us there running down the coast line with people in chase vehicles/trailers following them. He said there rarely are performance boats there. I don't know why it is a beautiful area?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Members in Hilton Head & Savannah area

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Went to Boat U.S. when at Hilton Head. The store manager noticed my cat t-shirt and asked if I was one of the racing boat people who were trying to find a ramp to take their boats out of the water. Apparently there was some of us there running down the coast line with people in chase vehicles/trailers following them. He said there rarely are performance boats there. I don't know why it is a beautiful area?
What do you mean no performance boats?What about little old me?I moved here 1.5 yrs ago and there are probably 5 go fast boats near me.Definately lacking some noise.The water here is mostly flat and wide open,in my opinion some of the best cat water around.I can run wide open from the landing to the ocean and not hit 1 five mph marker.The water is real deep compared to Great south Bay in long island.I almost asked stu from fl powerboat if he would consider a poker run up here.The water temp exceeds 90 degree's in the summer!!

If you come around pm me and I wll show you around. Brian
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Brian, Thanks for the info. and the invite. Good to know that there are some performance boats there. When I was in town, one of my friends took me sailing out of Skull Creek Marina. I couldn't imagine a better local for a Poker Run. Plenty of nice accomodations and marinas. Eric
Old 01-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parents now live in Savannah, and we spend the week of fourth of July down on Tybee island. I can say there are not many sport boats at all in this area, we take the Donzi down for the week but usually only use it twice the whole week because it is such a pain to launch and all. I usually put in up river in Savannah @ Houlihans Ramp...about 4 miles up river of Downtown Savannah. Like it because it is Brackish water and on the right tide you can run back in full fresh water to the ramp. Also has a hose there out of the way to flush the motor once you pull out.

Downtown Savannah is great to tie up and hang out but beware you are not in a no wake zone here and you better have monster fenders to protect the boat. Nothing like a tug pushing 3-4 footers at you when tied up, not to menttion the 6-7 mph current. Once down riv er it is great, you can run wide open from Downtown to the Atlantic...About 15 miles. The atlantic is great to play in and south of Tybee you have numerous beaches people go and hang out on with a ton of other boaters.....mostly fish boats but the girls look good anyway. The run over to HH is nice but I am not too familiar with where to go once you get over there, it would be nice to run up there for a late lunch some time. Also Defusky has a nice local seafood shack that has pretty good food but the name slips my mind.
Any more suggestions I would love to hear them, always looking for new placess to hang out when down there.

Bryan
Old 01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Registered

no-wake zones arent really an issue...off the top of my head, where we boat, i can think of maybe 3, 4? performance boating here? defenitely not as much as the cruiser or fishing scene. but downtown is nice to tie up at...just beware the huge toxic clouds being released from the Tronox plant on the river by Fort Jackson. they come and go as they please. and watch for BIG things floating on the Savannah River. ive seen many an obstruction floating around.

but it is nice. and its not so shallow at high tide. but at low, just know the waters and have GPS. youll be good to go.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Registered

yeah there are beaches. we frequent those during the summer. and just take the Savannah River east and youll wind up in the Atlantic about 10 15 mins later.

theres restaurants up in Hilton Head, and time it right and you can see some of the Beaufort MCAS airshow from the water whenever it comes around. theres one restaurant on Dafuski i know of, i believe Marshside Mamas?

Quick Reply: Members in Hilton Head & Savannah area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.