Notices

Boating in St. Pete

Old 01-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boating in St. Pete

If you want to cross Tampa Bay, Rattlefish is a a really good spot with best docks around for water front food. ,

Caladesi State Park is also nice spot. I have been here for couple years and boat alot in the area and sea weed is rare, like someone said it is weather/storm thing).

What are you looking for? Best food, best beach, best party scene? That will help narrow it down.

Ditto, the water is shallow but is also well marked, at least in ICW. As you will see on a chart, there are numerous inlets to the gulf and I would that Bounces Pass out of Ft Desoto is one to avoid because sand shafts..all the time and channel is moving target. Everything else is well marked. Undertow and Shepherds are best spring break beach bars in my opinion.

Last edited by happy hours; 01-31-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mneal
If you want to cross Tampa Bay, Rattlefish is a a really good spot with best docks around for water front food. ,

Caladesi State Park is also nice spot. I have been here for couple years and boat alot in the area and sea weed is rare, like someone said it is weather/storm thing).

What are you looking for? Best food, best beach, best party scene? That will help narrow it down.

Ditto, the water is shallow but is also well marked, at least in ICW. As you will see on a chart, there are numerous inlets to the gulf and I would that Bounces Pass out of Ft Desoto is one to avoid because sand shafts..all the time and channel is moving target. Everything else is well marked. Undertow and Shepherds are best spring break beach bars in my opinion.

Yes stay away from Bunces pass! Rattle Fish is were I go for lunch or dinner on the boat all the time. In your 46 Cig from St. Pete you can get there in 20-30 min easy. Caladessi is very nice and a nice 30-40 min trip for you with great docks. This is a public island.

Also Sarasota is near too plus across Tampa Bay and up the Matatee River (well marked, very wide and deep) is a resturant with big floating docks called Mangroves with awesome food.

Someone mentioned Shell Island. It a nice place to beach the boat and hang out but it gets crowded with drunk people and with a boat as big as yours I would not tempt it. It is super shallow around there so you must know where you are going and be an expert at handling the boat in tight areas.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Someone mentioned Shell Island. It a nice place to beach the boat and hang out but it gets crowded with drunk people and with a boat as big as yours I would not tempt it. It is super shallow around there so you must know where you are going and be an expert at handling the boat in tight areas.
We love St. Pete!
I think everyone that goes to Shell Island gets grounded at least once. I could see Shell Island from my parents place on Tierra Verde and it was funny to watch the craziness. Fun place to party though with some nice whale tail's.

Get a chart plotter if you don't have one.
Stay in the channels, a foot or two outside
of the channels and you may get grounded.

Always love to party at the Undertow...
can't get there by boat though.
Billy's has great food.
Hurricanes, kind of a tourist joint but has a great view.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Registered

I have lived on the beach/Tierra Verde for last 25 years. Send me a pm & will give you my cell & will tell you what others have not. serious shallow and beach issues!! Don't get me wrong though-easy to handle & awesome fun & don't miss it!!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks everyone. Sounds like there will be plenty to do down there. I do have a chart plotter and I am sure to make good use of it. I will placing some calls here soon, thanks for the hospitality. I will be there starting March 30th and staying thru the next weekend.

Ron
Old 02-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Gang. Hi Ron.

I'm getting in on this kind of late, had to take a day off from OSO for jury duty yesterday.

Anyway, I thing you're going to love it down here. It's one of the greatest places to boat if you ask me. So much water, so many places to go, and such great weather.

Aside from a few exceptions, there's not much to worry about as far as water once you're a good 3/4 mile offshore. Approaching land, and weaving your way through the intercoastals and bays can be a bit of a pain sometimes. If you're uncertain about an area, never leave the channels. I run in some channels which turn into canals (dry sand on either side of you) during a good low tide.

Some of my favorite spots are the rattlefish grill, the Wharf, The sandbar(Tierer Verde marina), Gators, and Mar Vista on longboat key.

I'll PM you my number, give me a shout when the time nears. I may be in Key West that week, but if not I can hook up with you.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if you need a place to stay or not, but someone mentioned the Holiday Inn Sunspree. We've stayed there 3 or 4 times and it's a great place to stay especially if you have a boat in tow. There's a large field with plenty of room for a truck/trailer and they have a hose on site that you can use once the day is done to wash/flush the boat. Rooms a nice and they have a tiki bar on the beach and 2 pools plus a small marina. Rates are reasonable too and the boat ramp is across the street.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Where are all you St. Pete guys when we have OPBA events?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
I just had Lee send me a membership application and plan on getting active with the group.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
Ya know the problem with OPBA?!?!?! I PAID my $money$ back in late August to join the club and I STILL have not received any newsletter about any events, emails or my member card so I can get fuel discounts on the water. What a RIP OFF this club seems to be! I have called and emailed many times Ron Long and Michael E. and they said they were trying to get my members hip taken care of but now they are no longer officers and can't help me.

Quick Reply: Boating in St. Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.