Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Switchable Exhaust... Illegal in Minnesota? >

Switchable Exhaust... Illegal in Minnesota?

Notices

Switchable Exhaust... Illegal in Minnesota?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Switchable Exhaust... Illegal in Minnesota?

Same here in Ohio. No switchable exhaust allowed. I wonder if the manufacturers will stop selling and installing switchable systems on new boats since most states technically don't allow them.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the Michigan law. You must have mufflers. I do believe however that Donkey ****s with water injectrion would be legal under the current law. They will most likely not pass the proposed "Pass-by" law if it is implemented. Under the current law even the automatic bypass mufflers are illegal. Also, different than some states, you must have mufflers!

Cut and pasted from MCL law library

6.10 Equipment Requirements and Required Personal
Flotation Devices
A. Misdemeanor—Equipment Requirements
MCL 324.80156 details the sound requirements for motorboat mufflers and underwater exhaust systems. MCL 324.80156(1) states:
*MCL 324.80156(2) allows the DNR to establish rules for alternative sound level tests and maximum decibel levels.

“Subject to subsection (2),* a person shall not operate a motorboat on the waters of this state unless the motorboat is equipped and maintained with an effective muffler or underwater exhaust system that does not produce sound levels in excess of 90 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 or a sound level in excess of 75 dB(A) when subjected to a shoreline sound level measurement procedure as described by SAE J1970. The operator of a motorboat shall present the motorboat for a sound level test as prescribed by SAE J2005 upon the request of a peace officer. If a motorboat is equipped with more than 1 motor or engine, the test shall be performed with all motors or engines operating. To determine whether a person is violating this subsection, a peace officer may measure sound levels pursuant to procedures prescribed in SAE J1970, issued 1991-92.” A person who violates MCL 324.80156(1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by: • imprisonment for not more than 90 days; and • fine of not less than $100.00 or more than $500.00. MCL 324.80156(6). In addition, the person must install a muffler or underwater exhaust system that meets the act’s requirements before putting the vessel back in use. Id.

R 281.1238 Mufflers; cut outs.
The exhaust of all internal combustion engines used on any waters of this state shall be muffled effectively by equipment so constructed and used as to muffle the noise of the exhaust of the engine in a reasonable manner. The use of cut outs, bypasses, or similar devices is prohibited, except for vessels competing in a boat race or regatta sanctioned by the department under sections 151 and 152 of the act. A modern device, underwater exhaust system or a system discharging cold water through the exhaust of an inboard engine, each of which is capable of muffling the noise of the exhaust of the engine in a reasonable manner, shall be considered as meeting the requirements of this rule.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998
BTW, I test at 86 - 88 dBA on Lake Minnetonka and 85 - 86 dBA on the river... kind-of thought the river cops would let it slide for a point or two because we are always 'Minnesota Nice'.
They got you for 85-86 on the river?!?..... That sucks. At least there aren't speed limits.... yet
Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I put "snufflers" on mine in order to make the cockpit quieter on plane (I also have mufflers, but they barely did anything). The redirection of the exhaust while on plane has basically made the boat much quieter while still allowing unrestricted exhaust movement. The snufflers also make the boat completely quiet at the dock and at no-wake speeds. Now, I have a small-block so I'm generally quieter than a comparable boat with a big-block.

I will probably install snufflers when I get the Stinger back together... though without a swim platform, I'll have to be a little more creative so that it looks good.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
They got you for 85-86 on the river?!?..... That sucks. At least there aren't speed limits.... yet
There is a debate over speed limits in the "Any Thoughts on performance boats and Poker Runs" thread in this (General Boating Discussion) forum. There are some pretty interesting opinions advocating speed limits...wtf?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my Scarab to a guy in Mn, he was told if the boat came into the state with switchable exhaust then it is legal, however switchable exhaust is not installable in the state of Mn. He bought the kit and I installed it on my boat. I do not know if this is right or not, I just did what I was asked to do. He has not picked up the boat yet so I can't say if he is getting by with it or not.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In GA, open exhaust is illegal and switchable to open is illegal but switchable to muffler exhaust is o.k. (thats what I have). So I guess it depends how "switchable" is defined.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

feel sorry for you guys.......only thing water cops up here care about is alcohol.......no alcohol......"nice boat man.....see ya"
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand the noise law and the abilty to just install the tubes that hang down in the water. Sure at idle the noise is muffled, but as soon as you go fast enough to get them out of the water, it's loud. That's telling me the laws are only for while in marinas or at ramps, for the most part. So you'd think switchable would be ok. ??????