Any Thoughts on performance boating and Poker Runs

Notices

Any Thoughts on performance boating and Poker Runs

Old 02-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: Any Thoughts on performance boating and Poker Runs

Originally Posted by RHC
Way to many people are buying Offshore Boats because they are cool and then put them on Inland lakes and Rivers,,,, thats like taking your Corvette and trying to run it on the Go-cart track at the theme park,,,, at that point ,, yes they need Regulated ,,, take them Offshore where they belong ,,,, go to the Great Lakes or the Ocean ,,, If your South ,, Go to the Gulf ,,, other-wise ,,, Slow down ,,,, MHO

RHC
I disagree. Texoma is a huge lake. Just because someone wants to go fast in comfort on his 35-42 fountain instead of getting beat up on his 26 baja does not make that a bad thing for the sport. I find that more of the smaller boats on lake poker runs are the ones that are in the greatest danger of an accident. I own a smaller boat on the the lake, 24 - its got an offshore hull, but I still have to pick my days in the rough. I want to step up to something bigger so that me and my passengers will feel safer - and you say thats a bad thing....

I agree with no more laws, period. This country is turning into a bunch of communist. Our founding fathers would roll over in their graves if they found out that they could not go to a bar in New York and smoke a cigar. If all these new laws would have been going on in the 50's these government official would have been labeled a communist and a traitor. I could go on forever.

The problem is not with poker runs but with how people drive in poker runs. Lets face it they are racing. My solution would be for each lake to run/set up their own racing league if they want to race. I really like the offshore class where boats are limited to the speed they can drive - like 60, 70, 80, 100+ and if they go over then they are disqualified. If my lake had a race with 60 and 70mph bracket I would enter in a heartbeat and there would be a lot of spectators.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
IMO this is not about speed, it's about educating the majority on exisitng laws and boater safety. To compare a lake to a roadway is ridiculous as boat driving is, for the most part unregulated (no license required). I have been boating on LOTO (one of the most dangreous lakes) most of my natural born life and the great majority of the issues here are a failure to use even common sense. There is a 30mph night time speed limit, but during the day the use of the lake dictates the speed. When I want to run fast I'm up early in the morning before all the cruisers are on the water, same goes for the bass boat... I'm not running 90 on Sat. afternoon. Likewise I respect the home owners in the coves and observe a no-wake policy there. The coves are for the PWC's and ski boats to enjoy. Bottom line is that there's room for all to co-exist and the first step is learning the rules of the road. It would be interesting to start a poll and see how many of you have ever been to or passed a Coast Guard safe boating program.
Well said
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your freedom to go 150mph ends when it directly affects my saftey and insurance. There is a time and a place. The problem is, many can't distingish (sp) between the 2.

Well said omego one. educating. My reference to roads vs water was to point out we don't complain about road rules that have speed limits, but complain because of a possisbility to have water limits. We can't have it both ways w/o some type of education, kinda like a motorcycle endorsement. Like I said, my saftey before your speed.
The speeds of todays boats is what is driving the ins. up. You go faster=higher accident chance. You hit something faster= more damage/ higher repair and medical bills.
With that said, I like the freedom also.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We should all pool up our money and by a super bowl commercial that is against anti-speed/noise on water laws. Aren't there over 25000 members on this site? thats only like 80 bucks a person.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottom line to me is that if we don't police ourselves, unfortunately some one else eventually will.
After all the accidents in the past few years ,I still continue see new video footage of boats all trimmed up ,faces sucked back not a sole wearing a life line or any jackets what so ever, and most disturbing to me know driver kill lanyards.
To me it starts with common sense, but we all think it wont happen to us, thats one of the reasons why my Cat insurance is as much per year as the purchase price of my Ski boat.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda new to the offshore boats, but the anti noise laws p*ss me off every time I hear a harley go by my house. Also there are many fishing vessels that run straight pipes that are just as loud.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Your freedom to go 150mph ends when it directly affects my saftey and insurance. There is a time and a place. The problem is, many can't distingish (sp) between the 2.

Well said omego one. educating. My reference to roads vs water was to point out we don't complain about road rules that have speed limits, but complain because of a possisbility to have water limits. We can't have it both ways w/o some type of education, kinda like a motorcycle endorsement. Like I said, my saftey before your speed.
The speeds of todays boats is what is driving the ins. up. You go faster=higher accident chance. You hit something faster= more damage/ higher repair and medical bills.
With that said, I like the freedom also.

Ok we been down this road.What about wet bikes and bass boats? Look at the death figures more people die on non performance boats in 1 hoilday weekend than a decade of performance boating.
20 yrs ago there were no where near the performance boat companys and registered hot boaters,I don't see the #s
going up no were close to registered ownership.
Remember this someone dies ever 6 seconds in a car,man
at that rate how can anyone afford insurance.
Plane and simple insurance companys take what they can from who they can.Lets see my insurance for a Vette that can run 165 with no problem and my 16 yr old can drive for 1,500
a year.My Skater thats quoted at 140 mph cost around 15,600 per
year.How much is your foutain insurance?Thats with a clean record after 6 triple digit performance boats.I think I'm paying my extra to run 140+!!!!
Inforce the laws that are allready are in place,and I do agree on a drivers license for all water craft.Enough with big brother and more laws.
J my 2