Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/150650-most-common-boat-ettiquette-violations-ramp.html)

sandcraft 02-03-2007 07:39 PM

most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

What seems to be the most common boat etiquette violations at the ramp or the one thing that really chaps your azz?

cbeastwood 02-03-2007 09:00 PM

Re: most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

This will be a long thread! I can't name just one!

I would say my biggest pet peaves are (in order):

1) waiting until they're at the water's edge still on the trailer to un-strap it, test-start it, and load everything in for the day.

2) taking up more than one lane at the ramp.

3) having no perception that people are waiting for you to get out of the way; taking you're own sweet time.

4) fishing from the dock at the ramp (despite all the No Fishing signs) and they don't even have a boat.

5) having the wife back the truck down the ramp when the wife has no idea what she's doing.

camptappakeg69 02-03-2007 09:22 PM

I always like it when I'am idling toward the ramp in a no wake zone, and some sh** passes me on plane to beat me there:rolleyes:

kubcat 02-04-2007 06:53 AM

I am working at a place next to a boat ramp and 2 weeks ago a wakeboard boat went past throwing a huge wake in a no wake zone. A car had backed into the water to drop off a jet ski and went in so far that you could hear the exhaust under water. When the wave hit the car, it floated the rear up, gravity pulled the whole lot into the river and the car was entirely in the river with driver still in the drivers seat. Luckily we had the excavator working right next to him and pulled him out.

JaayTeee 02-04-2007 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by cbeastwood (Post 2014113)
1) waiting until they're at the water's edge still on the trailer to un-strap it, test-start it, and load everything in for the day.

This would be my vote for the most common violation.

sandcraft 02-04-2007 03:47 PM

What about keeping the headlights on the tow vehicle turned off at night? just running lights.

Tinkerer 02-04-2007 07:29 PM

My boat is longer than the docks at Grand Haven so when I take boat back out I have to tie the boat up to one side of the dock and then go get the trailer and then back the trailer down the other side of the same dock or another. I can't back the trailer under the boat. When the ramps are busy sometimes I have a hard time geting an open dock before someone pulls another boat in. Some times someone starts to pull a boat in as I am backing down the ramp.
I have had to be a hard ass and just keep backing up. It is usually fishermen that are the worst.
I tell them they can have the dock that my boat is tied to but they still get pissed off sometimes. I just tell them to F off.
Sometimes you just have to be a jerk.

wrinkleface 02-04-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkerer (Post 2015253)
My boat is longer than the docks at Grand Haven so when I take boat back out I have to tie the boat up to one side of the dock and then go get the trailer and then back the trailer down the other side of the same dock or another. I can't back the trailer under the boat. When the ramps are busy sometimes I have a hard time geting an open dock before someone pulls another boat in. Some times someone starts to pull a boat in as I am backing down the ramp.
I have had to be a hard ass and just keep backing up. It is usually fishermen that are the worst.
I tell them they can have the dock that my boat is tied to but they still get pissed off sometimes. I just tell them to F off.
Sometimes you just have to be a jerk.

Most docks in Michigan R way 2 short! 4 the state that I think now has the 2nd largest # of reg. boats in the US, launch facilities Su CK big time!

czy40p 02-05-2007 08:43 AM

This one is still number one.

1) Waiting until they're at the water's edge still on the trailer to un-strap it, test-start it, and load everything in for the day.

Or

2) When they are leaving they stop at the top of the ramp and block all traffic, until they unload the boat and wipe it down, instead of pulling up and out of the way.

3) The people who are just driving through on the sight seeing trips, they always seem to be in the wrong place at wrong time.

BajaRunner 02-05-2007 09:23 AM

I hate the guy who didnt check his batteries all season, and leaves his boat in the water at the ramp trying to launch asking everyone who is launching for a jumpstart.