Notices

Comparable to Cig, Outerlimits, & Nortech

Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Comparable to Cig, Outerlimits, & Nortech

Originally Posted by SCARABJ
been on both, nice little boats.....are the 32's not built in the same factory as the f4??
are the 32's not built by the same people as the f4?
are the 32's built with different materials as the f4?
Who did you have Breakfast with this morning anyway?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

been on both, nice little boats.....are the 32's not built in the same factory as the f4??
Built in the same factory, dedicated crew to the F-4, built with different materials and layup. No wood (except coring in certain areas) in an F-4. Space age composites used including stringers. F-4 is completely vacuum bagged (32/288 not). The list goes on and on. The F-4 is the direction Sunsation is heading. The F-4 is not a 32 SS on steroids built in the same manner. It is it's own animal. I think a fair comparison would be when the Fiore's went out from Hustler and started Outerlimits. They did not just dress up a Hustler and call it an OL. Only difference here is that Sunsation did not brand or market the boat under a different name. Take a good, close look at an F-4 and please point out an area on the boat that is not on PAR with the other players listed. Miami would be a great place to do this as Sunsation will have 2, F-4's (including the one on Powerboat's cover this month) there and their booth is right next to Nor-Tech's. The three players listed did not get to where they are overnight in terms of status in the industry. Neither will Sunsation on there new products and direction. Give them a fair shake in proving their worthiness in the market they are attempting to enter.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Same factory, different teams, different lay ups, different materials. It is a waste of your time to try to make that comparison.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
The base issue with this thread was until the F4, Sunsation never tried to play with these other brands. And never claimed that they were trying.

The F4, in my opinion, is the first attempt by Sunsation until now to play with some of the top tier builders. Knowing what materials are in this boat, which most people here are just speculating, they clearly raised things up several notches. I was with the boat the day Mike Fiori went through it with a fine toothed comb. I know exactly what Mike said to Joe, and POS was NOT it.

There are some features you can't find on other boats. Does that mean they will be successful playing at this level...none of us knows that yet. But time will tell, and I know it is a great boat. I am not saying anything about the other boats, I think they are great boats also.

But they are off to a good start - they have orders to take them into 2008 so that is not a bad thing.
perfectly put w/o getting into a pissing match
Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about we take this thread in another direction, the original thread was about comparing the f4 to nortech cig, and outerlimits. I have'nt been on any of these boats to go over them with a fine tooth comb. So I can't give a qualified answer.

How about we take all 4 boats in similar models, get the list price for each of them and then compare what actually makes one better than the other, and what you actually get for the extra money with these boats.

I'm talking about construction techniuques layups etc.
Does it really cost that much more to lay up an outerlimits as compared to the F4?? Maybe it does maybe it does'nt.

If there is someone that is good with computers maybe they could make a spread sheet so we could make comparisons on the models rather than just being cheerleaders for the brand we own.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Same factory, different teams, different lay ups, different materials. It is a waste of your time to try to make that comparison.
that is the reason i asked the question...if this is true it would make a big difference in the way i think...why not build all the boats up to the standard of the f4??
Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pm203
I am talking overall. From hull layup to electricals. from rigging to fit and finish. Cigarette has been doing it for a long time and they do it well.
I'd say OL, seen cigs with stress cracks before, but not OL, I have seen a lot of boats with stress cracks, broken stringers, and they are equal too cig .some say there the fastest. So give a F4 a chance .
Old 02-06-2007, 03:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonS
the original thread was about comparing the f4 to nortech cig, and outerlimits.

That is incorrect. I inquired about the 32 SS.

The statement was in response to my inquiry into the 32 SS.

My inquiry had absolutely nothing to do with the 43... Just for the record.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Take a good, close look at an F-4 and please point out an area on the boat that is not on PAR with the other players listed. Miami would be a great place to do this as Sunsation will have 2, F-4's (including the one on Powerboat's cover this month) there and their booth is right next to Nor-Tech's. The three players listed did not get to where they are overnight in terms of status in the industry. Neither will Sunsation on there new products and direction. Give them a fair shake in proving their worthiness in the market they are attempting to enter.
This is well said too. I don't care what boat I've walked on, rode on, read about, talked about, blah, blah blah. They're all big hunks of fiberglass, wiring, and vinyl in the end. Not Ferrari's, Abrams tanks, FY-22 Raptor Stealth fighters or any other form of high-tech machine. I've never been "blown away" by any at the show, or after riding, as I felt i should've been prior to actually laying eyes on a certain model (based on posts or millions of articles over the years). Comparitive differences "in a reasonable sense" in size and weight, layout, sexy looks, paint, boat lines etc. yes. But not blown away by their sheer strength or ability to withstand gale force hurricanes like some on the board would elaborately attest to in their "roughest waters in the country" locations where interpretation of 3-4's varies as much as boat opinions. Still can't grasp the price of these puppies sometimes....

With that said, the "human nature" aspect of it is the new kid on the block will initially be admired for being fresh and different, but after actually entering the ring of competition the skeptics start howling, the nay-sayers loyalists (doubting Thomas') begin their campaign of resistance to change or new ways. Sort of like (since cars are everyone's favorite analogy) Toyoto in it's infancy, who has now overtaken a few giants and sits at #2 in the world soon poised to be #1 in automakers regardless of the Ferrari's, Lambo's, BMW's of the world. How about we do what "Knot-4-Me" suggests and take a look at it, maybe even ride it, before all the blue eyes start screaming how the brown eyes are inferior (remember that old psychological test of children in the 1960's?).

I think the true test is not now, or next year, it's where it's at 5 to 10 years from now in terms of sales, and field exposure out on the lakes, rivers (where most of the big bad boats on here roam bullying the Regals and Bayliners, developing their bad-boy reputations) and more importantly where real offshore boats are tested, on the real "3-4-5-6 footers" i.e. saltwater. In the meantime the young punk boat is threatening to take some of the glitz away from the old school boat makes, and that's the natural progression of things. In the end they're just boats packaged really well, all of them. Inevitably they're all enjoyed by thousands of happy campers and that's the realistic bottom line.

The best way of looking at it I think, is it's another great option when looking to spend big $$ vice only having a couple of models to choose from. Of course the reality is most on here are used boat buyers in the 38 and above range, heck less than ft than that actually, very few can reach out and buy new at that size (at least of the "big three"). So a lot on here won't even be able to consider an F4 or OL, NT, new Cig etc. being built today for another 5 years when they're older at a used price, like much of the Cig owners now.

Also it always confounds me to listen to the aforementioned 32's get compared to the bigger boats more than any other boat in it's class. But i guess that's complimentary in some strange weird way.... Again it's the new kid on the block phenomena.

Now don't whup up on my comments too bad, it's just an opinion and no one specific was insulted...I don't think...

Last edited by Reckless32; 02-06-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
I'd say OL, seen cigs with stress cracks before, but not OL, I have seen a lot of boats with stress cracks, broken stringers, and they are equal too cig .some say there the fastest. So give a F4 a chance .
I will show you an OL that looks like one big spider web...Most boats will get stress cracks depending on how one operates it...You run it in 10 foots full throttle, the boat will eventually take some stress in certain areas... Not a good measuring stick... Sorry for getting off topic...

Last edited by crb76; 02-06-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Comparable to Cig, Outerlimits, & Nortech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.