Boat title question? HELP!

Notices

Boat title question? HELP!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spicy
The only way I would deal with this is if A would do the New Tile work and B and C were never mentioned to VA. What they (VA) dont know wont hurt them....

My thoughts exactly, keep B and C outta the picture as log as A will sign it over to you.

Otherwise I see B having to get a title and pay taxes, then C getting a title and paying taxes. Then you getting a title and paying taxes. A long drawn out process.

Here's an ideal....
Have B and C give YOU 1/2 of what they should have payed in taxes, so they save some money and hassle. You get the boat and B and C paid your share of the taxes.

How did B and C register the boat?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:14 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it me or How the F would someone fork over money and never bother to assure property with a title...

What about insurance??? What about all the freakin liability...

If guy A declares bankruptcy with the title still being in force it is still one of his assets that can be seized by creditors. Or he falls in a jam he can go get the boat or send the cops to get it as stolen property because he still has legal rightful ownership, even if the others might have a claim they would have to go to court to enforce it...Are people so freaking stupid...

I am amazed at the lack of common sense sometimes....

OK I feel better now...
Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How did B and C register the boat?[/QUOTE]

the boat was a race boat, so it didnt need to be registered, I dont think B used it much therefor never titled it, and i knwo buyer C never used it, the 3-4 times he did he just wrote up a bill of sale to play for the day, now it has been sitting for a year or more.........

my big big question is this.... If VA does a title search or even a duplicate title for buyer A, when they go to produce that duplicat title, will it show if the boat has been titled to either Buyer B or C, if it hasnt been titled to either of them, it cant have a lien on it,

also, will it show if it has been titled to B or C even if it was done in a different state than VA?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If B and C never titled the boat, how can it show it being titled to them?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C wants to sell the boat. It's his job to clear the title.
Can you count on A to do ANYTHING to help you out. If not, or there's nothing in it for him, dont expect him to go out of his way to help you.
My $0.02
Gary
Old 02-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
If B and C never titled the boat, how can it show it being titled to them?
It sounds like the story is getting cloudy.
Look for another boat or tell the sell to get back to you when he has a clear title in hand and he is ready to sell.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you are absolutely in love with this boat and have to have it, I'd keep looking if I were you.
Sounds like too much of a hassle, with a lot of opportunity to fall apart and/or get very expensive.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it helps I had a similair mess with a car title. It had been through 3 owners that never titled or registered the car. All I did was find the original owner, got them to apply for a new title(they said it was lost/destroyed) they signed it over to me.
so it looked like they sold me the car. However there was no leins on the car. It was pretty simple, just some leg work and of course the original owner was more than happy to help, luckily.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:00 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Unless you are absolutely in love with this boat and have to have it, I'd keep looking if I were you.
Sounds like too much of a hassle, with a lot of opportunity to fall apart and/or get very expensive.
Put 10-25% in an escrow that they can't get until a clear title is secured. It puts you in the boat now and keeps them working to get this resolved for you.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I disagree. You are a buyer in the ordinary course of business. So it does not really matter if there is a lien on it or not. If the seller represented that there is no lien and he gives you a bill of sale. You should be able to get a new title free and clear. If the seller lies and ends up having a lien. The bank will be coming after the seller not the buyer in the ordinary course of business. The seller will be held liable for his lien because he will get the money to pay it off in the eyes of the bank. The bank is not going to come after someone whom they have no real information about, or even know how to get a hold of (buyer). The buyer in the ordinary course of business is protected. This is UCC 101 (uniform commercial code) if you want to do the research "
I strongly disagree. If bank has a lien on the title. They are gonna go after the boat no matter who thinks they own it. If there is a lien the lien holder owns it no matter what any bill of sale says. That's why they have liens in the first place. send me some cash and I'll send you a bill of sale for any boat, car or bridge you can name, you ain't gonna own it.

Last edited by Skullkrusher; 02-21-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Boat title question? HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.