Boat title question? HELP! >

Boat title question? HELP!

Notices

Boat title question? HELP!

Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boat title question? HELP!

alright here it is, im looking at a boat that has a little title problem. the boat has had 3 owners, the original (A), the second (B) and the current (C)... try to follow this one!

'A' sold the boat to B, and signed over the title, B had the title, then B never titled the boat,

next B sold the boat to C, and gave C the title, and C never titled the boat

C cannot find the title anymore but did have it

I have talked to A and B and the story is all legit

'A' lives in VA so i amagine it was titled there, what do i need to do now to get a new title, and who do i call, also is there anyway to check to make sure there is no lein on the boat?

thanks
SB
Old 02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Simple have "A" request a duplicate title (since he is still the legal owner) and he can then sign it over to you.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you may have a problem. If no one after A titled to boat, there is the likelyhood of unpaid sales tax on the boat.

The easy answer is A still is the owner of record. Have A get a new title. Then, you have to decided if you can get A to sign it directly to you or have each owner in succession title the boat (and pay the fee's).

As for a lien. On a titled vehicle if the lien isn't on the title it isn't perfected and therefore not a valid lien. It gets cloudy however if the boat was transfered between jurisdictions that may not title boats.

Good luck
Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered

Or you could simply buy my Martini 25' that I have a clear title to and your good to go.!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As for a lien. On a titled vehicle if the lien isn't on the title it isn't perfected and therefore not a valid lien. It gets cloudy however if the boat was transfered between jurisdictions that may not title boats.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

If there was a bank lien on the boat it would show up then correct? if there was an unsecured personal loan then the boat wouldnt technically be owned by the bank,

in VA how do you go about requesting a duplicate title
Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like this could be a problem. I would probably steer clear of this boat. You could end up having "tax" issues/ sales tax issues later down the road.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Would this help at all ?

http://www.boathistoryreport.com/
Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its called a "title jump" or "skip" and its a problem.
You need to work with owner A on this. He is the owner as far as the state will be concerned. If not the state will be looking for sales tax from the others which you probably will not get much cooperation.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go back one step. B and C may be in a state that does not title boats, like Arkansas. Get the title requested and then figure the hoops to jump through. Each hoop means less money that you pay to the seller.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way I would deal with this is if A would do the New Tile work and B and C were never mentioned to VA. What they (VA) dont know wont hurt them....

Quick Reply: Boat title question? HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.