Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Direct Buy?Anyone Use (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/151908-direct-buy-anyone-use.html)

excursion 02-20-2007 09:27 PM

Direct Buy?Anyone Use

Intrested in becoming amember of the DIRECT BUY, is anyone a memeber or had dealings with them. Is it worth the membership dues for the return?

Thanks for the help.

glassdave 02-20-2007 10:43 PM

i was going to put up this exact same thread about a week ago. i am looking at some kitchen cabnetry an saw their commercial and wondered if anyone had any experiance with them.

excursion 02-20-2007 11:10 PM

We are in the early stages of house building and went to the Direct Buy location tonight and went thru the sales pitch and saw some great deals to be had but at the end came down to pay and start up fee of $5100.00 for the first three years and 250 for the last 7 years. Bit of a shocker but when building a house what isn't. Told them I would have to consult with my builder in the morning to see what I could sub out. They have given me a one day grace period which they DONT DO....... :rolleyes:

Just dont know, you know what they say NO FREE LUNCH

glassdave 02-20-2007 11:15 PM

wow . . .they wanted $5100.00 just to get in the door?

Zudnic 02-20-2007 11:46 PM

It's like having a Costco membership for groceries. Great if you have lots of mouths to feed. For me not worth it for the one or two items per year I might buy there and if thats food 99.9% goes to waste...... For their dues you are basicaly paying the merchadise mark up before buying anything!!!!

1bagger 02-21-2007 03:44 AM

I build houses and have made exceptions and let customers supply some fixtures . Every time there has been a (pina)problem .
Parts missing , broken or whatever . If my Plumber opens a box and something is wrong I don't even hear about it .
Do that with Direct Buy and " What are we going to do now "?
Not my problem you send it back . And who is going to pay the plumber to come back when the part does arrive . What about warranty ? Listen after building a couple hundred houses don't you think a builder knows the best value on supplies . Now if your building your own house and assume all what can happen go for it . But imo if you hired a builder let him/her build your house .
Good luck . Paul

Iggy 02-21-2007 04:47 AM

Local TV news did a report on Direct Buy and how much it costs to join. Their recommendation is to not join. The "avearage" consumer won't earn enough in savings to make it worh while.

If you really want to join, add up what you want to purchase through them plus shipping, price the same itrems on the outside and see how long it takes in savings to pay back the 5100.00 enry fee plus the 250.00 a year membership.
If the items purchased are priced at 75-80% off retail, which I doubt, then you may have a chance.

excursion 02-21-2007 06:29 AM

Thanks for all the comments, Did a search and learned alot last night , SCAM SCAM SCAM !!!!!!!! This is along the lines of timeshare selling but worse. At least in time share you get something. On every other web-site they had major proplems and possible Class-action law suit towards Direct Buy, they even change the name a few years ago from ACC to avoid such bad publicty. That is why we did not sign up , I am not easliy convinced into things like this. I have to be shown and proven.
To anyone that might be thinking of going to a Direct Buy location , DON"T WAIST YOUR TIME!!!!! :mad:

Audiofn 02-21-2007 06:35 AM

Even with places like Costco and so on you can ussually find as good or better deals at other places with out the fees. I am sure that you can do ok with the place if you are building a house yourself, if they have exactly what you want it may be worth it. If you are making compromises on the quality or style then there is just no way it is worth it IMO

Jon

rdp145 02-21-2007 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by excursion (Post 2033524)
We are in the early stages of house building and went to the Direct Buy location tonight and went thru the sales pitch and saw some great deals to be had but at the end came down to pay and start up fee of $5100.00 for the first three years and 250 for the last 7 years. Bit of a shocker but when building a house what isn't. Told them I would have to consult with my builder in the morning to see what I could sub out. They have given me a one day grace period which they DONT DO....... :rolleyes:

Just dont know, you know what they say NO FREE LUNCH

The "buy now or you won't get this price" is a high pressure tactic that usually means run.