Like Tree0Likes

Bass Tournament Contestant disqualified for reckless driving

Old 02-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

Where's the video that was posted here several months ago that showed the same thing, but by a 'go-fast' cat traveling at over 100mph? Story was something like a poker run or such and it was a well known practice that the boats travel at those speeds in a particular area, so the spectators anchored right there for the close up view. Many here then were against that practise, but then many said it was the way it is and had no problem with it. Can't pick on the fishy guys when we are not so perfext ourselves.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 PM
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member

Agreed...Azzholes in every group. He was wrong, at least he admitted it.

Bass tournaments actually have rules so strict most of us couldn't/wouldn't be willing to participate. Most of us run just as reckless in a typical Poker Run without the rules below.

Bass Tournaments rules (some of them)
-Life jackets are MANDATORY if the engine is running...PERIOD
-Kill switches MUST be used at all times
-NO alcohcol permitted in the boat at ANY TIME

Lets see this bulk of this group follow those.....I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouyhunter View Post
There's a few rotten ones in every "sect" of boating, as there are in life.
I agree they don't need to all be lumped together - it just hurts us all in the end.
If you use the logic that all boaters of a certain type boat the result is:
Bass boat = fast, unsafe.
Pontoon boat = party barge
Offshore = loud, obnoxious
Blowboat = rude, thinks he owns the lake.
Cruiser = minivan on the water, no knowledge of what he's doing.
In the above, none is true more than 5% of the time - but you do have cases of each, and you can mix/match the description between everyone of them.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfoul View Post
As an avid bass tournament fisherman and former offshore powerboater, I really resent you lumping all of us into the "jackazz" category. You obviously don't have a clue about tournament fishing. MOST, meaning 99% of us are very good boaters... better than some offshore guys I've seen in my 35 years of boating. So before you lump us all into one stereotypical category maybe you should take a step back and re-think your statement.
exactly, my point was WE as power boater are being lumped in the problems with lakes , killing of manatees in fla, and hurting the ears of people on lake winni...I think this episode should be used as fuel on the alabama lake dispute as it shows that they can try to restrict the size of the boat, and thats all they would be doing. People are still going to find a way to be dangerous.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24' Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin View Post
People are still going to find a way to be dangerous.
Yep!
And it doesn't matter what size/type boat they are in.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC

I find the biggest problem with the bassers is that the ones that are not really "boaters". They are fisherman, and the boat is just a way to get to where the fish are. I look at lots of these boats that show no maintenance, dings, scrapes, low fluids, etc. Before the advent of all the protective sensors I saw these thing cooked and run low on premix until they wouldn't crank anymore. That sae mentality means they act just like PWC people that know nothing of rules of the road and are downright dangerous.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 2007 37' Active Thunder SOLD

Quote:
MOST, meaning 99% of us are very good boaters... better than some offshore guys I've seen in my 35 years of boating.
Its more than 1% of them that act the way i described in my earlier post on this river. More of them act that way than don't around here. Big egos with some of them!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Eliminator Eagle XP, 1979 Cole TR-2

Quote:
As an avid bass tournament fisherman and former offshore powerboater, I really resent you lumping all of us into the "jackazz" category. You obviously don't have a clue about tournament fishing. MOST, meaning 99% of us are very good boaters... better than some offshore guys I've seen in my 35 years of boating. So before you lump us all into one stereotypical category maybe you should take a step back and re-think your statement.

I watched the Swindle incident live yesterday. Yes he was wrong... yes he should have been DQ'ed.... yes if there were a LEO nearby he probably would have gotten a ticket. He should have idled thru the boats. In an interview later in the day he admited he should not have done what he did, and that if given the moment over, he would not have sped thru the area. Call it a lesson learned. A very expensive lesson as he was doing very well in the tournament. $500,000 to first place, and good money to the nest 24 finishers. He would have been in 14th place after two days.
My statement was based upon personal experience at a stated location. Once had a bassboat come right up my wake, not turning until his was within 15 feet of my daughter on a ski, no excuse for that, wide open section of the lake. The partiscipants in our area seem to have the attitude that they own the lake during these tournaments, try to take over the launch ramp, save parking places, mill around adjacent to the launch ramp, and generally act like they are the only game in town. No consideration for other boaters. Thats why I avoid that lake when they are present. And like the fairy godmother said to Cindrella " If the shoe fits, get it on "

Larry

62 Bel-Air 409

260 Eagle Xp HP500EFI

2002 Corvette M6 Corvette
Old 02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Eliminator Eagle XP, 1979 Cole TR-2
Quote:

I watched the Swindle incident live yesterday. Yes he was wrong... yes he should have been DQ'ed.... yes if there were a LEO nearby he probably would have gotten a ticket. He should have idled thru the boats. In an interview later in the day he admited he should not have done what he did, and that if given the moment over, he would not have sped thru the area. Call it a lesson learned. A very expensive lesson as he was doing very well in the tournament. $500,000 to first place, and good money to the nest 24 finishers. He would have been in 14th place after two days.
My statement was based upon personal experience at a stated location. Once had a bassboat come right up my wake, not turning until his was within 15 feet of my daughter on a ski, no excuse for that, wide open section of the lake. The participants in our area seem to have the attitude that they own the lake during these tournaments, try to take over the launch ramp, save parking places, mill around adjacent to the launch ramp, and generally act like they are the only game in town. No consideration for other boaters. That's why I avoid that lake when they are present. And like the fairy godmother said to Cindrella " If the shoe fits, get it on "

Larry

62 Bel-Air 409

260 Eagle XP HP500EFI

Old 02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2013, 42x, 1350s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbletop409 View Post
My statement was based upon personal experience at a stated location. Once had a bassboat come right up my wake, not turning until his was within 15 feet of my daughter on a ski, no excuse for that, wide open section of the lake. The partiscipants in our area seem to have the attitude that they own the lake during these tournaments, try to take over the launch ramp, save parking places, mill around adjacent to the launch ramp, and generally act like they are the only game in town. No consideration for other boaters. Thats why I avoid that lake when they are present. And like the fairy godmother said to Cindrella " If the shoe fits, get it on "

Larry

62 Bel-Air 409

260 Eagle Xp HP500EFI

I agree. My comment also is based on what we experience on the lake I boat on as well.

Last year, there were 356 bass tournaments on our lake. Just one of the Arkansas boating laws states that if you are within 100 feet of another boat, person in the water, boat dock, or the shoreline, you must not exceed 5 mph. This law is broken every time there is a tournament. The cut other boaters off, spray other boats with their roosts, and are just down right rude and half the time, unsafe.

I've seen boaters in need of assistance and no one in the tournament will stop and assist just because "they're in a tournament".

I agree that there are people that ruin things for others in everything that happens in this world, but until we witness a change in their boat habbits, my opinion remains the same.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

all I thought of when I saw this thread was the tv commercial where the guy in the offshore boat just showers a fiherman.