Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pantera 24 vs. Velocity 260 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/152286-pantera-24-vs-velocity-260-a.html)

Michael1 02-25-2007 11:56 PM

Pantera 24 vs. Velocity 260

I'm checking out some used boats, and was wondering how the Pantera 24 compares to the Velocity 260 (really about a 24 footer without swim platform). Performance, rough water handling (wave crushing), and durability are important to me.

Thanks,

Michael

littledcsrodshop 02-26-2007 12:05 AM

For a 24 footer you will not beat a Pantera for roughwater & durability. As far as performance goes I am not shure of the weight of a 26 Velocity ect.. But the Velocity with equal power may be a bit faster. However in the rough that may or may not be differant. I would recomend looking at them both & seeing wich one best fits your personal needs out of a boat.

Dude! Sweet! 02-26-2007 12:13 AM

Michael, if you're interested in seeing a 24 Pantera, I've got an older one and I'm happy to meet up in Long Beach when I'm out some time. My boat is 27 years old and it's still rock solid inspite my best efforts to sink it. It's the smallest boat I'd ever run in the Pacific.

No experience with the Velocity, though. My buddy had a 29 Warlock and said that it was a very rough ride in the Ocean.

haulinvols 02-26-2007 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2038854)
I'm checking out some used boats, and was wondering how the Pantera 24 compares to the Velocity 260 (really about a 24 footer without swim platform). Performance, rough water handling (wave crushing), and durability are important to me.

Thanks,

Michael

I have been in both and as far as rough water handling and durability, Pantera is pretty hard to beat in the 24 foot range. As said above, the Velocity will be a faster boat with the same power. Pantera has built their reputation on rough water durability.

Michael1 02-27-2007 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! (Post 2038863)
Michael, if you're interested in seeing a 24 Pantera, I've got an older one and I'm happy to meet up in Long Beach when I'm out some time. My boat is 27 years old and it's still rock solid inspite my best efforts to sink it. It's the smallest boat I'd ever run in the Pacific.

That sounds great! I would love to get a ride in a Pantera 24. Pretty funny about trying to sink it, too!

I'll PM you with my contact info.

Thanks!

Michael

fountain333 02-27-2007 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well i have to say pantera for shur! great rough water boat and well mine is fast and it just so happends that its up for sale! Check out the classifieds!

fountain333 02-27-2007 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic sorry had a malfunction

FeverMike 02-27-2007 06:05 PM

Pantera for sure! Pantera builds a solid stout boat.

Michael1 03-01-2007 11:32 PM

I had an nice conversation with Dave at Velocity Boats. I asked him why the hull warrantee was void if you put in an engine other than the stock power. He said the warrantee will only apply if the increased power is installed at the factory. The reason was they use different stringers depending on engine horsepower. I never realized boat companies did this, unless it was a race boat, and even then not for the engine. He also said there would be a different X-dimension.

When I posed the same question to Jo at Pantera, he said it was no problem putting in bigger power later. They said all their boats are "over-built".

Michael