Like Tree0Likes

Islamorada sandbar, new rules?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Charter Member #928
Charter Member

My Boats: Boatless for now

No boat noise. Speed limits. Hell now they are telling me when I can get laid? Good god why are do we fight any of these wars anyway? Our own people are taking away all of our freedoms.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH BAR View Post
I am just curious where the fvck they get off saying what I do in MY cabin, in private, is any of their damn business?

My thoughts exactly! No different than what goes on in your house. ON the sunpad is 1 thing, but inside the cabin? Sheesh
Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 39 Nortech CC

Stepping up sandbar regulations on tap
BY ROBERT SILK

Free Press Staff

ISLAMORADA Memorial Day and the Fourth of July are still several months away, but on Thursday, Feb. 22 the Village Council will consider recommending stronger regulations to control the parties that traditionally play out during those weekends at the Whale Harbor sandbar.

The proposed regulations are limited in scope. Vessels plying the sandbar during Memorial Day weekend, the Fourth of July holiday period and special events, such as the former Bartender's Week at Holiday Isle, would be restricted to a maximum length of 26 feet an effort to halt large and difficult to control boat parties.

In addition, no more than three boats would be allowed to moor together, a rule designed to make it easier for law enforcement officials to maneuver between vessels in order to control crowds.

Since the sandbar sits in waters under the jurisdiction of Monroe County, a council resolution supporting new regulations would not be binding.

But with Islamorada being the entity that is most affected by the public safety issues and noise wrought by the sandbar's rowdiest weekends, such a statement could make a strong impression on the Monroe County Commission.

In past years, parties at the sandbar have made headlines for fights and nudity, in addition to the requisite drug use and excessive drinking. In a particularly bizarre 2004 incident, a handful of young adults made the sandbar the setting for impaling and hoisting themselves on meat hooks.

The proposed regulations were generated by Islamorada's nearshore water regulations committee and refined at a public workshop held last summer.

"While this committee does not view this as a morality issue, many citizens do," committee chairman Jim Trice wrote in a letter to numerous local officials. "We view our recommendation strictly as a safety, environment and image issue."
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post

In past years, parties at the sandbar have made headlines for fights and nudity, in addition to the requisite drug use and excessive drinking. In a particularly bizarre 2004 incident, a handful of young adults made the sandbar the setting for impaling and hoisting themselves on meat hooks.

"
Nice job morons for ruining it for everybody! I saw the TV Show and those idiots were outta control!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered

My Boats: 39 Nortech CC

Since the sandbar sits in waters under the jurisdiction of Monroe County, a council resolution supporting new regulations would not be binding
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

Haha to Sea-Dated. It turned out that these rules didn't really matter and people still did it. They can't really turn down tourists to Islamorada because it will only hurt the economy.

Ben
Hotel in Islamorada Fl