Surge or electric brakes ?

Notices

Surge or electric brakes ?

Old 02-08-2002, 12:02 PM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Surge or electric brakes ?

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either?

Thanks Kirk
Old 02-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

I prefer electric ...I have had surge on every trailer before this one. Electric in most cases are required by a lot of states (state law) along with brakes on every axle.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

If you plan on going in salt water, dont use electric.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Electric is great if you are not putting it in the salt water .

Serge brakes usualy have more stopping power but that dam serge coupler slapping around is a pain !

For a little more money get the electric unit on the front of the trailer that controls hydraulic brakes .and get the disc brakes .they dont rust like drums .easier to clean and it will stop anything ! You will need an electric brake controler in the truck with this system . Any quesions e-mail me . JOE
Old 02-08-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately surge. I do not know about state laws but I have had both. Electric is a pain. Aside from connection problems it is either on or off. Yes you can set the sensitivity but in case of emergency stop you will not have time to adjust the box. I prefer surge, the harder the truck breaks the harder the trailer breaks.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Your right about the laws ,A lot of states are outlawing the surge brakes . The only one I can think of right now is NY but many others have too . I geuss they are "Granfathered" in if you already had them but you better check . Nothing worse then getting stopped and having the trailer impounded ! I know from experience .
Old 02-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Registered

Talking

I like advantages of both. Surge can be a problem if going down long, steep hills, or backing up slops/driveways, but there are lock out devises available. Electric/hyraulic with discs is really nice with dash adjustable control. Back-up light system disarms solenoid for reverse.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:31 PM
DEVIL MAN

King poodle Jeffrey and I have both had surge brakes, but now we use electricity and will never go back to surge....without question, electrical is the way to go!!!!! Only problem with electrical is that you must have the same vehicle mated to the trailer so the plugs match....just can't borrow any old truck to pull an electric trailer, but as long as you use your own vehicle that is set up properly....you have it made in the shade...good luck.

DMan

Old 02-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

I've had both, and I'll take electric any day.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:52 PM
Registered

Cool

I have had two trailers with surge barkes and have had no trouble with them, but I do not like the clunk when pulling away from stops or having to get out and set the lock out device when backing up.

We just purchased a new boat and are getting a MYCO with the electric surge brakes. Seems like this system provides the best of both worlds.

As far as electrical connections go, most new trucks come pre-wired to accept electric brakes. You simply plug the controller into the recptical under the dash. At the rear both the 4 and 7 pin connector are provided. At least that is how my 2000 Ford is set up.

Quick Reply: Surge or electric brakes ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.