Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Blown motors due to bad gas in keys!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153215-blown-motors-due-bad-gas-keys.html)

MacGyver 03-11-2007 11:30 AM

Wow! Chernobyled that piston :eek:

waterboy38 03-11-2007 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2053116)
I burned pistons in my old blower motors by running 93 octane with too much boost. I run straight 100 or 112 now. Blower motors need high octane. I don't know the specifics but I would assume the diesel will dilute the race fuel. I left a message for my engine guy s he could explain to me exactly what happens.

Lubejob
sounds like you pumped DIESEL in your tanks by mistake because nobody else had problems

waterboy 38

waterboy38 03-11-2007 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2052192)
Just got back from my trip to Costa Rica. Called my engine guy to find out if he figured out why both engines lost power and oil pressure while on the Miami boat show poker run. I have come to find out both motors are blown due to running a mixture of Cam 2 and DIESEL FUEL. Apperently some of the fuel I got down in the keys was contaminated with Diesel. I got gas at both the Tiki bar (60 gal per side) and Sunshine key (30 gal per side) and topped off with cam 2 110 octane I brought in my truck. We pulled the fuel seperators and sure enough there was a good percentage of Diesel in the fuel. NO!! I did not use the wrong pump or nozzle!!! I am extremely carful of that. One of the 2 places has a serious problem. Now I have a very serious problem. Has anyone else had a problem with fueling up at either place?

Lubejob are you sure you did not grab the DIESEL pump by mistake Because it looks like no one but you had a problem

waterboy38

LubeJobs42 03-11-2007 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by F-N-iGuy.com (Post 2054097)
You're saying you were the only one out of a hundred or so poker run boats and countless other boats that got diesel mixed in your gas?? Wow, what are odds...

Saturday, I went about 60 miles south of Islamarada with only 3 other boats. That's where the bad fuel had to come from. Infact, my engine guy said if I has smaller HP engines, I maynot have even known. It probably just would have ran a little rough.

Buddy OO 03-11-2007 07:38 PM

put in a mercury 850sci, can still run on 87 octane and has knock sensors .

jordy 03-12-2007 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2053181)
You don't have enough compression and ignition source in those motors to cause detonation.

Read up a few posts. Depending on the ratio, gasoline can ignite diesel and then things are going to get really hot. :eek:

offshoresteve 03-12-2007 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by waterboy38 (Post 2054247)
Lubejob are you sure you did not grab the DIESEL pump by mistake Because it looks like no one but you had a problem

waterboy38

How would you know, were you watching from your John Boat:evilb:

LubeJobs42 03-12-2007 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by offshoresteve (Post 2054910)
How would you know, were you watching from your John Boat:evilb:

:D :D