Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

? .................
Old 03-09-2007, 09:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Gino,
I fuelled at Holiday Isle Saturday morning as you pulled away from the gas dock. Ran down to Hawks Cay for lunch Sat and back to Marco on Sunday with no problem. Hope you can track down the source of your problem.
Bob
Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
Gino, there is a good lab in Miami that can test and certify your bad fuel.

Jim
I can get it analized. The problem is I would have to get samples from the place in the keys, there are several pumps and it's been 2 weeks. Basically, I'm screwed.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

you always have some funny story to tell us! With my budget, I could not last as long and still enternain OSO that long!

Is your dipped truck running OK or if there was any damage to this unit also?

I sincerely wishes you better luck in 2007!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkatz
Seems to me that diesel burns much slower than gasoline making the the engines just run bad or not at all, not junk the motors.
Depends on the mixture. With the right amount of gasoline to diesel, the gas can ignite the diesel and cause some serious problems as the diesel with the higher flash point will burn hotter and start detonation. Had it happen to a friend's corvette about 14 years ago. Back before diesel was the big deal with trucks that it is now. Pump nozzles were the same size at the car wash and we were normally in there in a diesel truck. The guy was on auto pilot and put about 5 gallons of diesel in the vette. Started running like crap. Started retracing the steps and then pulled the gas cap and it smelled like fuel. Pulled the plugs and the electrodes were burned down past the porcelin and the ground straps were gone as well.

Not a good situation to have at all!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkatz
Maybe an engine builder could chime in on this. Seems to me that diesel burns much slower than gasoline making the the engines just run bad or not at all, not junk the motors. I must be missing something?
I burned pistons in my old blower motors by running 93 octane with too much boost. I run straight 100 or 112 now. Blower motors need high octane. I don't know the specifics but I would assume the diesel will dilute the race fuel. I left a message for my engine guy s he could explain to me exactly what happens.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Sorry about your luck. That sux!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Diesel fuel has exceptionally high octane rating relative to gasoline. It is exceptionally resistant to detonation. That's why diesels have such high compression ratios. You don't have enough compression and ignition source in those motors to cause detonation. It can however fill a combustion chamber up with raw, unburned fuel and "hydraulic" and suffer mechanical damage from attempting to compress the liquid. If they were running and not making horrible noises when you shut them off, you may be OK. If they quit with a bang, it could be bad. With a 50/50 mix, there would probably be enough fuel for the motor to run and either partially burn or expel the diesel. You'd just be way down on power. It certainly wouldn't cause a lean condition or detonation.

I wouldn't give up on looking into who sold you the bad gas. You can't be the only guy who got it. It's not that big of a world- there's got to be more than a couple marinas in the area dealing with the same problem you are having on boats that didn't make it far.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:11 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're saying you were the only one out of a hundred or so poker run boats and countless other boats that got diesel mixed in your gas?? Wow, what are odds...
Old 03-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Blown motors due to bad gas in keys!!!!-piston1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Blown motors due to bad gas in keys!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.