Rumor has it - no Fountain dealership in SE Michigan

Notices

Rumor has it - no Fountain dealership in SE Michigan

Old 02-10-2002, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are the facts.
Sundog is Only Wellcraft
McMachen is no longer Sea Ray but they did pick up Four Winns.
Colony bought the Sea Ray line from McMachen.
Jefferson Beach is no longer a Fountain dealer.
Lands End is no longer a Powerquest dealer.
Brennan Marine now has the PQ line.

A buddy of mine went to the Detroit Boat Show, said it sucked. Not many offshores.
No Donzi's, Formula's or Fountains......
Old 02-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the show today. Brennan had a 34, 32 SC and 29 Powerquest, Sunsation had thier lineup from an outstate dealer, and there was a 43 Black Thunder. If there were any more performance boats we missed them. Some big cruisers, ski boats, and a bunch of pontoons, but pretty thin for go-fasts.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:53 AM
Registered

well then i guess i'm going up north this weekend instead of the boat show.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:37 AM
Registered

What up with Water's Edge ?
A couple of people made some comments.
I have a friend that might be buying something used from them ,I'd like to give him a heads up.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

I dont have any personal expierience with them but a friend bought a boat with " a new motor" turns out it was a different motor. they had a boat in the showroom they said was a boat show demo with only 15 hrs on it. i was informed from a reliable source it had more than that. so all i'm saying is tell your friend to make sure he is getting exactally what he is paying for.
I dont know the details but i know sunsation no longer deals with them and the guys from sunsation are a great group of guys so i'm sure the problems stems from something on the waters edge side.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:31 AM
jr

I went through them when I bought my boat. 1. at the time I said okay but I want it surveyed, Rick was actually put off, and gave me a time limit on how long the boat would still be availible to me. They may sell it out from under me if it took too long in their eyes. 2. At the time of sea trials I wasnt allowed to drive, otherwise I would have seen the crummy shifting, (shift interupters were disconnected because the lower shift cables were wore out), the steering was sloppy. He did point out low oil pressure on the starboard engine at idle which was fixed, but the bearings weren't. It was fixed with a high pressure, high volume pump to mask the crappy bearings. 3. When I was ready to sign the line, stupid dumbass me, they were very persistant about using their financing even though I had it already lined up. I caved, stupid dumbass me, turns out it was a my bank, for a higher rate and longer term. Stupid Dumbass Me. 4. When I picked up the boat I was husseled through, And I had to send my wife to buy a ball because the one I had was too small, and they never got around to telling me what size it was when I had asked them. All the while I had to listen repeatly to them ask me how long she was going to be.

All in all, my surveyor let me down, he couldnt tell the difference between 12V and shore power. I couldn't get a mechanic to check out the engines which were mush. A fix that was made in good faith should have been much more extensive. The "new" bellows were cracked and seriously leaking. And they screwed me out of a set of props. So basically this gem of a boat cost me about 8 grand and 3 years in parts and engines to get it to something that is basically sound. I just hope what I've said to other people have cost those two more than what I have put into the stupid boat. Next time I will take a vallum and a prozac before I go boat shopping. Then after I've found the boat I want, put a tack through my finger to make sure I have my full and undivided attention, then do my own survey, mechanical, financing, seatrial and so on. So how do I really feel?

Old 02-11-2002, 09:34 AM
Registered

Jr,
I know quite a few people that have dealt with them and I've never heard a story of a happy buyer from them. I went in there to look at a 33 fountian blank a few years back and I went out back to check it out, and I was looking it over, a bit more closely than they liked and they were getting all (waters) edgey about me knowing what to look for, and then I said "I know how you guy operate", which they really didn't like so I told them to go away instead of looking over my shoulder, and that I didn't want to hear thier version of this boats history till after I looked it over, well it was a sunk boat, total blank, and they said a new interior was being made for it. They insisted it wasn't sunk, ect, and mislead everything to make it sound better, just like I always hear about them. The marine business could definitely do without business practices like thiers.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:53 AM
MikeStar

JR (and anyone else),

If you need a surveyor in the Detroit area, I'd recommend Bill Novak. He is a member of the National Association of Marine Surveyors (www.nams-cms.org) and is just a straight up, no bull**** guy. His number is 810-463-2400.

After hearing about Water's Edge, I think I'm going to cross their name off my shopping list.

So, who's going to pick up Formula? Any bets? I have to believe some dealer would step up to the plate...

Old 02-11-2002, 10:31 AM
jr

Thanks Mike, I'll tuck that one away. The guy that did mine was, I have a feeling, new to the industry. He had a bunch of abbreviations of societies, and licenses after his name. Thats were my suspicion of someone that touts certifications, and affiations started. Send a check or take a test and get couple letters.

Old 02-11-2002, 10:39 AM
Registered

VisciousOne is also great for knpwing what the F to look for in a survey, certified, local, and he's been in the boating scene his whole life, and he's an oso member, here's his # 810-725-7711 for future ref.

Quick Reply: Rumor has it - no Fountain dealership in SE Michigan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.