Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers? >

Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers?

Notices

Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers?

Old 03-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Have you seen the windshields Outerlimits is doing? They look like a framed out fighter jet but framed all the way around. Very cool workmanship, rugged looking and seems to be extremely well built and the only windshield I like.
hey hey hey. let's not butter the bread too much

Mine works.

I am tinting wind deflector NorTech key lime green this spring, like my bubba WrinkleNuts.
Attached Thumbnails Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers?-dtfloating.jpg   Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers?-wrinklenuts-43-nt.jpg  
Old 03-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Downtown42
hey hey hey. let's not butter the bread too much

Mine works.

I am tinting wind deflector NorTech key lime green this spring, like my bubba WrinkleNuts.
It's just a little green Butch!!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont call that a windshield, looks like a windscreen to me. The standard aluminum frame windhields on a performance boats disrupts the flow of the boat and to me looks ***. You dont see windshields on choppers just on the cruiser bikes. So if you want comfort buy a SeaRay.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by excursion
The standard aluminum frame windhields on a performance boats disrupts the flow of the boat and to me looks ***. You dont see windshields on choppers just on the cruiser bikes. So if you want comfort buy a SeaRay.
I couldn't agree more. For example the windshields that Fountain has been using really turn me off to the overall looks of the boats. I just do not get why Fountain, who preaches high performance, racing and speed all day long uses a windshield that looks like it belongs on a Sea Ray cruiser type of boat. Fountain got it right with the winshield they use on their 42 Poker Run boat, so why can't they carry that idea over to all the other high performance boats?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I really dont call that a windshield, looks like a windscreen to me. The standard aluminum frame windhields on a performance boats disrupts the flow of the boat and to me looks ***. You dont see windshields on choppers just on the cruiser bikes. So if you want comfort buy a SeaRay.
I don't know if a chopper is the best example of a performance machine. I haven't seen a lot of those on the road courses lately.

Windshield, windscreen..doesn't matter as long as it does the job. I agree with you. Many windshields don't look that good (but some do).

Anyway, I don't see why you can't have something that is fast, looks good, AND comfortable. In the '60s everyone was down on power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning for a sports car or muscle car. Now I can buy a 198 mph Corvette that will outperform any of those old cars, and it looks good, has climate control, and has plenty of comfort. Times change.

In my opinion, Eliminator seems to be leading the way in this area, especially with the new Daytona Coupe.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 03-11-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

My windshield works fine and its never come loose or gives me any problems, but its a sit down (for sale here on OSO). I like the looks of the fountain windshield. I'm not for getting windblasted every time I go out. If you spend thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a boat you ought to be able to drive fast without eating flys.
Attached Thumbnails Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers?-python4-custom-2-.jpg  
Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Whats about Dragon. They have a full front shield.
Attached Thumbnails Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers?-dragon.jpg  
Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Windshields, ie. glass, and offshore don't mix. Lexan windscreens, deflectors and canopies are the only way to go safely. Technically the "windsields" on the Outerlimits, Donzi Comps, Dragon, and various cats are types of canopies cut down and use a type of lexan or impact plastic. Framed windshields are not allowed in offshore racing (even 20 years ago we had to remove the glass from the 29' A-class Mirage) and all the true off-shore fishing boats don't have front windows. Framed glass can't take the impact of a big wave or stuff.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Whats about Dragon. They have a full front shield.
Nice looking boat!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

This is the perfect quote. Maybe a Formula guy can chime in here, I don't think the windshields block out all of the wind. When I bought my 32 it could have come with a fairing or taylor windshield and I was told there was not a lot of difference in wind resistance between the two. I bought the fairing since it looked much better.

Quick Reply: Why So Little Attention to Windshielding by Performance Boat Manufacturers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.