Notices

Did You Sell Your Boat?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did You Sell Your Boat?

Just wondering how anyone else is doing selling their boat, and what worked to get it sold. Was it on a particular website? Did you have to practically give it away? Did you park it on the side of the road somewhere? How did you do it? Please all you success stories share your hot tips so we can sell our present boats and move on to bigger and better things!

Thanks, Andy

Last edited by On Time; 03-13-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sold my boat because i was flexible on the price.

When I was shopping for my 1 boat, I noticed most people put the least amt. down. So when I was making my offers people were saying But I Owe more then that on the boat. I would say Yea because you put a small amount down, not my fault, you are now asking more then the boat is worth.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PRICE, PRICE, PRICE, Big difference between wanting to SELL your boat and seeing what you can get for it. Sold my 35 Fountain pretty easy, because it was priced at a great deal and everyone else who was 10- 15 higher is still for sale !
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered

I sold mine for asking price with no attempt to negotiate. I think you can ask high market value if the boat is in nice well kept condition and includes the right options and is presented well in the add as well as pictures, if you have the highest priced boat you better have the best one. The buyer on mine said he looked at 6-8 other boats all over the country and none were represented correctly on the phone or in the adds, said mine was nicer then any other used boat he had looked at and was better then I led him to believe. He shook my hand and said "Done deal"
Old 03-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

If a boat that is in good condition doesn't sell, it must be overpriced. "Giving it away" because the seller thinks the boat is worth much more than it is seems to be pretty common. I see a lot of sellers asking "dealer retail" and can't figure out why they don't sell.

Go lease a building, pay insurance on it, advertise, pay business taxes, business phone, business license, have a few employees and with health insurance, then add payrole taxes.......and you'll see why there is a difference between "retail" and a person to person sale.

Last edited by ospreyproduction; 03-13-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

I've sold 2 boats on boattrader.com. Both sold within the first week of the ads hitting the site and both boats sold to the first person that came to look at them. I think the keys to the prompt sales were selling at peak season, listing the boats at a fair price, having clean merchandise for sale, accurately and honestly representing the boats in the ads, and having good pictures attached in the ads. I sold both boats for the asking price.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

OSO in a week, sight unseen, across the country.

Buyer sent a check and shipper. As soon as he stated he was willing to buy it sight unseen, I dropped to my bottom line (which was 5% less than I was asking).
Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if you have the right product at the right price it will sell...i've always researched comprable items and made it a point to price them accordingly. i do this 80-100 times per month on my website with autos

www.centraljerseyautosales.com
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

IMO--Selling a boat quickly starts with getting a good deal when purchasing. I just sold one of my boats, an '04 29' Rinker for 5K more than I gave for it 2 years and 130 hours ago. I'm very patient when purchasing.......I make sure to always get the options that set a boat apart (power being # 1). I have sold 4 boats in the last 5 years all through the internet. Good luck with yours!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like there are a ton of overpriced boats on the market, maybe because a lot of owners are upside down on them. If a boat is clean, not underpowered, and reasobaly priced it should sell pretty easy. If it sits on the market for 4 months it probably means its overpriced.

Quick Reply: Did You Sell Your Boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.