Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help!! California Impound Laws (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153551-help-california-impound-laws.html)

fountain44 03-13-2007 07:19 PM

Help!! California Impound Laws

I was wondering if any one knows the laws in California when a car is impounded. To make a long story short, My brother-in-law is currently serving in Iraq and he left his car with his brother. The car was parked in the street and then towed. Unfortunate for him didn't have the money to get it out right away. So as one comes back from Iraq the truth comes out. And the car is no longer in the impound lot. So my question is how long until someone can file for a lien on a title and can you take posesion of a vehicle which money is still owed to a bank.

I know in ohio its 6 months but my experience the repo company gets it before you can file for lien. in his case the car was still being paid on. just wondering so I can help him.
Thanks

Jupiter Sunsation 03-13-2007 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by fountain44 (Post 2056843)
I was wondering if any one knows the laws in California when a car is impounded. To make a long story short, My brother-in-law is currently serving in Iraq and he left his car with his brother. The car was parked in the street and then towed. Unfortunate for him didn't have the money to get it out right away. So as one comes back from Iraq the truth comes out. And the car is no longer in the impound lot. So my question is how long until someone can file for a lien on a title and can you take posesion of a vehicle which money is still owed to a bank.

I know in ohio its 6 months but my experience the repo company gets it before you can file for lien. in his case the car was still being paid on. just wondering so I can help him.
Thanks

FL is 30 days.....................31st day tow yard can sell the car.

Bubbletop409 03-13-2007 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by fountain44 (Post 2056843)

Thanks

I believe Kalifornia is also thirty days. I have a friend who was arrested, his car was towed, took him 3 days to get out, and by the time he got home there was already a " notice of intent to sell " from the tow company, he did have 30 days to pay and get the car back though. Must be a big business for the tow companies out here, like free money.

There should be some type of legal provision to cover people serving this country, too put your life on the line, and make it home, only to find your ride gone has got to be a heartbreaker.

Bostonirish 03-13-2007 07:43 PM

Just for reference it is 30 days in massachussetts also.

phragle 03-13-2007 08:42 PM

lein sale auctions in socal are a pretty big buisness, ypu can get some pretty good deals..especialy if your friend owns the tow yard.

RHC 03-13-2007 09:13 PM

Down side is that he still owes the bank !!! and you can bet they will ruin his credit if he does not pay

RHC

Panic Button 03-13-2007 10:17 PM

Who had the POA for the car? Also, under the Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act, (Soldiers and Sailors Servicemembers Civil Relief Act of 2003 (SCRA)) protects active duty service members & I don't think they can sell it. Contact the base legal office that he's stationed at, they can be REAL helpful & call the place, seems people make a lot of exceptions when they hear the Federal Gov is involved.

Anarchy Powerboats 03-13-2007 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Panic Button (Post 2057100)
Who had the POA for the car? Also, under the Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act, (Soldiers and Sailors Servicemembers Civil Relief Act of 2003 (SCRA)) protects active duty service members & I don't think they can sell it. Contact the base legal office that he's stationed at, they can be REAL helpful & call the place, seems people make a lot of exceptions when they hear the Federal Gov is involved.

+1

Panic Button 03-13-2007 10:21 PM

Here is some info that might help you out...

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/sscra/l/blsscra22.htm